Tensioner & idler pulley '98 Windstar 3.8L

Old 06-22-05, 11:02 AM
Mark in Ottawa
Visiting Guest
Tensioner & idler pulley '98 Windstar 3.8L

Help....

The tensioner for the serpantine belt on my '98 Windstar is seized. As well, the idler pulley is chirping up a storm....they both need to be replaced. Chilton gives basic instructions on how to change them but fails to elaborate on just how difficult it is.

Anybody have any experience with changing these and is it a DYI? It looks simple enough but with the tensioner being under spring pressure, I don't know what I might be getting into. Detailed instructions, proper tools and cautions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MarkinOttawa

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-05, 12:39 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa
Help....

The tensioner for the serpantine belt on my '98 Windstar is seized. As well, the idler pulley is chirping up a storm....they both need to be replaced. Chilton gives basic instructions on how to change them but fails to elaborate on just how difficult it is.

Anybody have any experience with changing these and is it a DYI? It looks simple enough but with the tensioner being under spring pressure, I don't know what I might be getting into. Detailed instructions, proper tools and cautions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MarkinOttawa
Hey there Mark, you posted this one twice... check my other reply... You need a long flat bar special tool available at auto parts stores, and the new tensioner pulley which would set you back around $15 for that. Basically, using the flat bar with the correct size "wrench" fitting on the end, pull back against the tensioner to loosen its grip on the serpentine belt and slip the belt off. Draw a map first or check under your hood to see if a drawing is there. Take out the one bolt that holds the entire tensioner on the engine - which was an 18mm on my '96 model Windstar. Remove the tensioner, replace the pulley and then reverse order to re-install. Have a friend help you get the belt back on... One person to hold back on the bar and the other one the feed the belt through all the pulleys and such... Good luck!

Search this Thread