92 Mitsubishi Galant

Old 06-22-05, 08:03 PM
clindsey
Visiting Guest
92 Mitsubishi Galant

Car was running fine until I put it into park...when I turned off the ignition, it heaved violently, knocked hard, and died. The electrical is fine, it has full power when I turn the ignition on. However, when I try to start it, I get no turnover at all. I tried disconnecting the positive cable to make sure it wasn't a shot sensor, but that didn't help. Anyone know what would cause it to crap out so suddenly? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 09:30 PM
The fact that it heaved when you shut it off suggest that it might not have been all the way in park (perhaps you let your foot off the brake just as you turned the ignition off ? ). This combined with no restart suggests a problem with the shift linkage. Try shifting into neutral before starting. This will confirm it.

If not, the heaving is unrelated and there is a problem with the ingition/starting system.

Old 06-24-05, 04:19 PM
clindsey
Visiting Guest
Many thanks

that was it...it restarted, but the engine ran very gingerly. After running for a while, it seemed to strengthen back up. Hopefully, you allowed this old crap box to run another 25, ooo miles! Thanks again

Old 06-24-05, 07:31 PM
Glad to have been of help.

You should definitely have this looked at. Next time it might not just heave -- the car might actually take off, likely in reverse. Not a ride you want to take.

Take care.