Rear axle growls

Old 06-23-05, 07:55 AM
jeff moralez
Visiting Guest
Rear axle growls

I have a 1998 gmc safari and the differential needs bearings. I want to replace all seals and bearings throughout the axle as we have 140k miles on it.
What can I expect as far as cost for parts and specialty tools? I am pretty well eqiuped but have never worked on a differential. I also have the Haynes manual but it recomends a shop over a do it yourselfer.

This is the first time in a long while that I have had to bother you guys for help , Thanks..

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 09:02 AM
Even if you could replace the bearings yourself, which is heavy work, you'd still need to properly set the preload on the bearings. You'll need a good shop press for the half-shafts. This isn't something that can be done by hammering like replacing races on a brake rotor. There's information on the web that can help you repair a differential. If you have all the tools and are confortable with the techniques, then do it yourself. Otherwise, it's best to have a shop do it.

Old 06-23-05, 07:44 PM
Agreed. Very difficult to do at home unless you choose to replace the whole axle with a used assembly. Get something wrong and your parts and effort are gone to waste.