1996 Windstar won't start after sitting 45 minutes hot.

Old 06-23-05, 12:58 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
1996 Windstar won't start after sitting 45 minutes hot.

Weird problem. When the engine is cold, it starts just fine and runs fine as long as I drive the car. It warms up quickly to mid range in the Normal and stays there. It does not overheat, boil over and it does not use coolant. Hence, no head gasket concern. I bought the car used with 140,000 so I'm sure they've already been replaced. After driving the car hard in hot weather (hot = above 70 degrees in Minnesota) and then parking it for 45 minutes, it simply will not start. I've already replaced the $100 coil pack, thinking the heat was making it fail. Same thing. Anybody help??? Engine is 3.8 Liter.

Last edited by wogster; 06-24-05 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 04:39 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
any other symptoms?

such as stalling or rough idling after running for awhile? experienced this before and it turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. let it cool down and it starts right up but if you run it too long it will become a fire hazard.

Old 06-23-05, 07:48 PM
You need to describe in more detail what happens when it won't start. Does it crank ? If yes (which I assume, since you replaced the coil), it could be the crank sensor. Try pouring some cool water over it (locate it at autozone.com). Could also be the fuel pump. Do you hear it coming on ('buzz' from rear -- remove gas cap to hear more clearly). Could be many other things but these can at least be ruled out.

Old 06-24-05, 12:29 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Yes, it cranks fine when "hot" but the engine misfires, like... pomp pomp pomp and sometimes acts like no spark at all... And yes, it does stall after driving hard and hot but this is a rather rare event... like pulling off the freeway and then into an ATM and then having it stall there - bad place - and then not start again. Raise hood and wait for an hour and even then it was hard to start, but finally did. As I said, weird problem.

Last edited by wogster; 06-24-05 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-24-05, 12:32 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by themechanix
such as stalling or rough idling after running for awhile? experienced this before and it turned out to be a clogged catalytic converter. let it cool down and it starts right up but if you run it too long it will become a fire hazard.
Interesting theory........ My fuel mileage is excellent though...... about 23 MPG on a tankful, even driving at 70 MPH... So wouldn't mileage be suffering if the cat conv is clogged???

Old 06-24-05, 12:55 PM
Not likely the cat. You would experience an overall lack of power if this was the case.

First you need to determine if the problem is ignition or fuel related. Carry an extra spark plug with you. When the problem happens pull the coil wire, stick in the plug and have someone crank the engine (good idea to ground the plug to the body). If there is spark you will see it.

You say the engine misfires. Do you mean that it starts and stalls ? If this is the case I am leaning towards fuel pump. If you can get some cool gas into the tank (if someone is with you who can run to the gas station) you can prove it.

There are other possibilities such as map sensor or mass air flow sensor. Both can be cooled off when the problem happens to help pinpoint what is at fault.

Good luck

Old 06-29-05, 12:27 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Unhappy UPDATE: New symptoms make diagnosis clear

Originally Posted by wogster
Weird problem. When the engine is cold, it starts just fine and runs fine as long as I drive the car. It warms up quickly to mid range in the Normal and stays there. It does not overheat, boil over and it does not use coolant. Hence, no head gasket concern. I bought the car used with 140,000 so I'm sure they've already been replaced. After driving the car hard in hot weather (hot = above 70 degrees in Minnesota) and then parking it for 45 minutes, it simply will not start. I've already replaced the $100 coil pack, thinking the heat was making it fail. Same thing. Anybody help??? Engine is 3.8 Liter.
UPDATE: I ended up parking the van for a week, and upon starting it up to move it, I noticed clouds of white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe! So, it appears that the problem is the head gasket(s) after all!!! So far I have an estimate of $800 (usually + or - 20%) to replace both. But it might only be the FRONT one, which would be an easy replacement. These engines have one-time-only-use head bolts, so a new set of those plus the gaskets are required to do the job....

Old 07-03-05, 12:25 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by wogster
UPDATE: I ended up parking the van for a week, and upon starting it up to move it, I noticed clouds of white smoke billowing out of the tail pipe! So, it appears that the problem is the head gasket(s) after all!!! So far I have an estimate of $800 (usually + or - 20%) to replace both. But it might only be the FRONT one, which would be an easy replacement. These engines have one-time-only-use head bolts, so a new set of those plus the gaskets are required to do the job....
BAND-AID FIX
I did a Band-Aid fix, and put in a can of Justice Bros radiator sealer and stop leak, and now the van works just fine. It had hardly used any coolant, which was the hard part to figure out... Must have been a fine mist, spraying into the cylinder and fouling the plugs.......... Like I said when I started this thread........ WEIRD!