Paint damage - Honda Accord 2001 bumper

Old 06-25-05, 05:45 PM
Paint damage - Honda Accord 2001 bumper

Suffered scratching/scoring on the corner of the rear bumper after hitting a small concrete post. I purchased some black paint and top clearcoat at the local autoparts store who assured me this was the black for this make and model of car.

However, after sanding the old paint off and spraying the paint and then the topcoat, the finish looks dull and a bit rough. Thinking it need to be fine sanded I then sanded it down with 1000 grit sandpaper and in some places it does look like the original paint but for most part sanding it has made it look worse (kind of a whiteish color). When the area it wet with water, it alsmost looks like the rest of the car but when the water dries out, the white look reappears.

Have I missed out something in the process or is it just that I was given the wrong paint. Both the paint and topcoat are in spray cans.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-05, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
After you applied the clearcoat you should have wet sanded with the 1000 grit. You may have to recoat.

Also, the paint you bought from the parts place is probably very low quality. To really do the job right you need a higher quality paint. Couple of years ago
I had some paint deteriorating on the trunk lid of my wife's Camry. Got the paint and detailed instructions here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/
http://www.paintscratch.com/spraycan.htm

Costs more than what you get at the parts place, but the results are much better. Also, you can request the paint have a flex additive for plastic parts.

Old 06-25-05, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I did kind of wet sand it. I kept the surface wet with water while sanding with a small power sander (Craftsman 3D sander - got 3 small sanding pads). The results were what I got so I'm not sure what else I could have done. The paint quality could be the cause of course.

I'll check the links you supplied. I wonder if it is cheaper than buying from the dealer.

Old 06-26-05, 05:37 AM
Group Moderator
Probably. Plus you'll get a very small can from the dealer. Using a power sander you may have gone right through the clearcoat. Read the tutorial stuff on that website; very thorough description of the operation.