5.7l valve guide seals

Old 06-26-05, 06:35 AM
5.7l valve guide seals

have an 01 suburban with blow by since we got it at 24,000 miles. it now has 74,000 mi. some of you have suggested valve guide seals. can anyone give step by step instructions to someone who is mechanically inclined but deffinately not a mechanic? do you need special tools?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-05, 08:27 AM
Go buy yourself a Chiltons manual which will outline head removal. Look over the section on removing the head and see if it's a job you'd care to tackle. It's a fairly complex job and if you're not using oil by the gallon I probably wouldn't bother.

Old 06-26-05, 09:21 AM
thanks for the reply, but i have found the chilton type manuals to wrong and or nonspecific at times and just wondered if there was something better.
it goes thru 1-2 qts between changes and sometimes none. its really inconsistant. it has occasionally used up to three. i check it about twice a week.

Old 06-26-05, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Have you checked the PCV system for clogged hoses and/or stuck valve? Worn valve guide seals generally will give you a puff of smoke on first start up; is that one of your symptoms? It's also possible to replace valve seals without pulling heads, but you need specialized equipment that only a full serrvice garage will have.

Old 06-27-05, 06:42 AM
yes, the blow by is at start up, but not every time. you may have answered my question about doing the job w/o pulling thr heads.

Old 06-27-05, 10:54 AM
If you have an air compressor than all you need is an adaptor to screw into the spark plug hole. rotate the engine so that both valves are closed, than introduce compressed air into the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping while you swap out the seals. You will need a valve spring compressor to remove the spring. Do one cylinder at a time.