2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE Problem...

Old 06-26-05, 10:28 AM
Bman100
Visiting Guest
2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE Problem...

Hello,

This weekend I was visiting my parent's house and they've been telling me there was a problem with their 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE - the problem is: when you start the car, everything starts up fine, but for some reason you can hear an odd noise when the car is in idle, or right before you rev the car up, or when you turn on the air conditioning. Yesterday I started the car up and I heard that noise from the beginning (It sounds like popcorn popping - or if you rattle a penny in a plastic cup) anyways, yesterday when the noise persisted, I turned on the Air Conditioner and the noise became faster, so I turned up the Air Condition and then Turned it off real fast and the noise stopped, but you can hear it when you slowly press on the gas, and you can hear sometimes when the car is idle, like at a stop sign or light.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 08:28 PM
Bman100
Visiting Guest
Okay i've created a sound byte of me starting the car. If you listen closely, you can hear the engine running, but five seconds in, there is some noise that sounds like a coffee maker running, anyone know what this is?

Here's the link: http://s34.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...L129HA2JMPQF41

Old 07-02-05, 07:17 AM
If it only happens when A/C is selected, sounds like the refrig. going through the TXV.

Old 07-02-05, 08:07 AM
Bman100
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately the noise occurs even when the A/C is not selected.

Old 07-02-05, 08:54 AM
suggest you have the belt tensioner checked along with removing the belt and checking all pulleys and accesories for play or bearing wear as a starting point.

Old 07-14-05, 08:35 PM
snozuloz
Visiting Guest
what engine? how many miles?