sable eating fuses

Old 06-27-05, 06:00 PM
brianmac
Visiting Guest
sable eating fuses

My sons 1991 mercury sable is eating fuses. the fuse to the break lights burns out when he hits the pedal. we have checked for obvious damage to the accessable wire to lights that would cause an arch or short. I know there is nothing like chasing electrical problems. Where do we start!!!!!!
thank you in advance.
brianmac

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-05, 06:38 PM
I'm assuming that the fuses blow

as soon as the brake pedal is active. If not, then it's going to be much harder to track down.

A couple of ideas, does the car have a trailer wiring kit? If it does, then check all those wires closely for damage.

Check the wires at the brake pedal switch-usually mounted at the top of the pedal, under the dash- Are the wires damaged or bare?

Try removing all the bulbs from the lamps, then put in a new fuse and hit the brakes- Did the fuse blow?

If no, then try putting the bulbs back in one at a time, then test again. When the fuse blows, you've find the problem bulb. It's possible for a bulb to go bad so that it shorts out internally. Try a different bulb. If the fuse still blows, then it's probably something to do with that socket or wiring to it.

If yes, then it's probably a wiring short or possibly a shorted socket.