Ford truck A/C questions

Old 06-28-05, 03:39 PM
Ford truck A/C questions

The '94 Ford F-150 (4.9l I-6, E4OD, extended cab) I bought about a year ago has air conditioning that doesn't work. When I bought it, I was informed that the problem had been diagnosed as a bad clutch. It seems like a pretty easy job to replace the clutch and shim it correctly. What I need to know before starting is: (1) do have to remove the compressor from the engine to replace the clutch (in other words, will I have to open the system); (2) what should I see as standing pressure in a properly charged system ( engine not running, compressor not turning); and (3) what should my high-side and low-side pressures be when the system is operating peoperly? I realize the running pressures will be affected by a number of variables; I'm just looking for ballpark numbers. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 08:52 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Here's my two cents...unless your're defintely sure it's the clutch I would just go to the junk yard and buy a used compressor and replace the whole thing. It's much easier and faster. I've purchased them between $40-$60. I'm guessing it's summer so the prices will be higher. Supply and demand :-) They usually gurantee the compressor for 30 days as well. As far as the pressure goes, once you buy a guage for your R134A , there's ususally is an instruction sheet for your car and the recommended pressure for the high and low side.

Old 06-29-05, 03:19 AM
what is exactly wrong with the clutch on the compressor now do you know?
about the only time a clutch goes bad that isnt related to compressor failure is when the electric coil goes bad wich would cause the clutch not to engage.
any noise or dicoloring is usually caused by a compressor problem.
you can probably get a remanufactured compressor with clutch for not much difference in price versus clutch only.
pressures will vary alot based on ambient temp and vehicle.

Old 06-29-05, 06:11 AM
Thanks, GlassesRx and bejay. After hooking the electrical connector back up at the clutch and selecting A/C, it seems the clutch is more than happy to engage, but the compressor doesn't want to turn. Now, if the compressor is not locked up, I should be able to turn it by hand with a suitable tool on the outer clutch disk, right? I mean, there should significant resistance, but it should turn with the application of a little muscle, correct? If not, I guess I'm looking at a locked compressor, and will either go the used unit route or get a remanufactured unit with clutch. I'll post with more as I know it. Thanks again - Chris

Old 06-29-05, 07:58 AM
greg1309
Visiting Guest
Junk Yard A/C parts

I disagree with the person who said to get an A/C compressor at the junk yard. If you plan on keeping this vehicle for over the next two years get a rebuilt one or if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long long time just invest in a new one. The junk yard option is a throw of the dice and you stand a good chance of having to do the repair twice. Junk yards are great for many parts but A/C parts aren't one of them. Moisture is the greatest enemy of an A/C system and A/C parts from junk yards have been exposed to the elements.

Old 06-29-05, 03:52 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Good notation from Greg, I was just being a cheapo! LOL. For me, if it's easy to change, I would get one from the junkie. If not, yes spend a few extra bucks and get a rebuilt, or new. Depends what you're willing to spend. Good luck in your choice and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-29-05, 05:50 PM
Cmil

it does not take that much force to turn the compressor, you can turn it with your hand, however you need to have the clutch engaged, or push in, towards the compressor on the outside of the clutch as you turn to see if it is working

good luck

Old 06-29-05, 07:09 PM
Well, compressor would not turn, neither by hand nor with a pin spanner in the outer clutch plate. Guess I'm going to go with a remanufactured one - eBay lists a few that are competitive with junkyard units. Thanks for all the input, everyone! 'Til next time,... Chris

Search this Thread