1991 geo metro lsi info needed

Old 06-28-05, 08:04 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
1991 geo metro lsi info needed

hi,
i just got a metro lsi (1991) with no manual for it. it has a few problems to fix. i hope someone can help.
i have the automatic trans and it seems to not shift into 3rd. i can get it up to 65 but it starts to "chug" is it possible the is a lever adjustment to correct? the shift lever works in 1st and 2nd fine. in drive it is just like there are only 2 gears, 1st and second.

the next question is about a little black button that "pulls out" (spring loaded). it is to the rear of the shift console drivers side (right near the handle for the emergency / parking brake). what is that "button" for ??

lastly the blower motor for the heater / a/c doesn't work at all. any idea where the fuse might be? my local auto parts store is out of stock on the haynes manual and it may take a few weeks before i can get a book on it.

Thanks in advance for any help rendered !

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 11:11 PM
I can try and help you with your transmission question but no idea about the other stuff.

You car will have an MX17 tranny. Third gear is engaged by something called the "direct clutch" inside the trans. It is possible that the problem is being caused by the shift switch not slotting into the "D" position but is is more likely something else.

There are 2 possibilities. 1 - The is a fault in the engine computer or some sensor used by the engine computer to provide the shift signals. 2- There is fault internal to the transmission.

There is an easy way to find out. Simply disconnect the shift solenoid wiring. You will find this towards the rear right - it should be a circular connector. You will see another larger connector from the shift switch with many wires - that's not the one. Once you disconnect this the transmission operates in manual or "limp" mode as it is known. In this mode you will have to shift manually since the shift lever simply operates the manual valve. To test put the shift lever into "1". Once you get to about 15mphm put it into 2 and once you get to about 30-40mph put it into "D". This is assuming you are accelerating under fairly light throttle. If you can shiift into third the problem is in the control system. If you cannot the problem is internal to the trans and can be one of the following

1. Direct clutch solenoid stuck on (in practice this is not possible with the wiring disconnected since there is no electricity to energize the coil but some debris could have got stuck inside the solenoid opening and thereby is will always vent the fluid).

2. Broken/stuck 2-3 shift valve.

3. Broken direct clutch piston or worn clutch plates and discs.

3 will require the removal of the trans from the vehicle. Everything else should be serviceable without pulling the transmission.

This will hopefully give you an idea what to look for if and when you take it in to be fixed by some transmission place.

good luck!

Old 06-30-05, 08:32 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
thank you

thanks for you detailed reply. i found out that the little button is to dis-engage the "lock" so you can move the shift lever manually if the locking mechanism "sticks"

Old 07-01-05, 12:22 AM
Forgot to also mention that it may be worth checking the thottle valve cable - it may be too slack or broken. Unlike a truly hydraulic trans here the throttle valve is simply used to regulate the line pressure so if it does not open the line pressure may not be enough to actuate the direct clutch. You will find this on the right and should move when you press the gas pedal.

Search this Thread