Timing help

Old 06-29-05, 01:50 AM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
Timing help

I hooked up timing light and noticed my timing was off a little i loosened the distributor, so i could get it in time but there is a module on the side of the distributor, and it wouldn't let me turn it far enough, So i decided to take the distributor completely out and turn it a bit and put it back in so i would be able to line it up exactly with the timing light, except now i cant get it to start and i know its way out of time, By the way its a 90 f150 exteneded cab with a 5.0 fuel injected.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 03:57 AM
Yeah, you've got to put it back
You'll have to rotate the engine (by hand) to get piston #1 at Top Dead Center
And the dist (rotor) pointing at #1 and re-install

The computer would just adjust the timing back on this engine anyway
You can turn the dist but the comp'll compensate for that and retard/advance the timing to get it back to specs

Old 06-29-05, 04:33 AM
did you unplug the in-line spout to set the timing?

Old 06-29-05, 08:20 AM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
what do you mean in-line spout

What do you mean by in-line spout?

Old 06-29-05, 08:22 AM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
Thanks Slick Shift

Thanks its been awhile sense i have had to mess with timing appriciate your help

Old 06-29-05, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Yeah, you've got to put it back
You'll have to rotate the engine (by hand) to get piston #1 at Top Dead Center
And the dist (rotor) pointing at #1 and re-install

The computer would just adjust the timing back on this engine anyway
You can turn the dist but the comp'll compensate for that and retard/advance the timing to get it back to specs
Does this engine have Over head cams? I had a 3.0L engine with OHC that I could not set the timing properly by turning the distributer cap. I discovered that both cams had skipped a couple of notches on the timing belt. After replacing the timing belt and everything else while I was there and realigned everything I was able to adjust the timeing perfectly.

Al

Old 06-29-05, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by abilyk
Does this engine have Over head cams? I had a 3.0L engine with OHC that I could not set the timing properly by turning the distributer cap. I discovered that both cams had skipped a couple of notches on the timing belt. After replacing the timing belt and everything else while I was there and realigned everything I was able to adjust the timeing perfectly.

Al
No
Not applicable here
Old fashioned pushrods on this one

Originally Posted by flintkid
What do you mean by in-line spout?
The SPOUT connector (SParkOUT) is a little dangling connector off the dist that doesn't connect to anything
You have to pull the little cap off the connector to disconnect it so the computer won't adjust it while your reading the timing
If you don't you'll get some wacky readings

...and probably try and turn the dist to adjust it...but the TFI module is in the way...