Car dies when slowing

Old 06-29-05, 04:17 AM
Kubias
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Car dies when slowing

I have a 1991 Chev Cavalier Z24 with a 3.1L 6 cyl 5 speed manual. We have replaced the starter, alternator, and battery. The problem comes when slowing down the car just cuts-off. The gas in the car is over 6 months old. Would this cause the car to just die like this?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 06:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forum

A lot of things happen to gas when it sits for extended periods. Fill it up with fresh gas [maybe aded a can of gas treatment]. Hopefully it will run better after a few miles.

Old 06-29-05, 08:31 AM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
Any Jerking?

Have you been feeling any jerking?

Old 06-29-05, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A new fuel filter couldn't hurt. They are pretty cheap and that may be a good idea if your car has been sitting for a long time. Good Luck in finding the answer to your problem.

Old 06-29-05, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Kubias
I have a 1991 Chev Cavalier Z24 with a 3.1L 6 cyl 5 speed manual. We have replaced the starter, alternator, and battery. The problem comes when slowing down the car just cuts-off. The gas in the car is over 6 months old. Would this cause the car to just die like this?
6month old gas? Sounds like your car setup for a while. Anyway,
I had a 85 Olds Calais that would cut-off when stopped. I had to drop in neutral when approaching stop lights to keep the engine going. Does this happen to you? Anyway, turns out to be a bad ERG valve, an inexpensive fix. Good luck.
-jasper

Old 07-14-05, 09:04 PM
soakley75
Visiting Guest
I used to have an '84 Chevy Cavalier automatic that would stall when slowing down for red lights, stop signs. Never happened any other time, just when slowing down. I took it to three mechanics before it got fixed. If I remember correctly the one that fixed it said he unplugged the lockout solenoid in the engine. (This was 10 years ago and I know next to nothing about cars, so...) Anyway, ran perfect after that.