Is your mech as retarded as mine

Old 06-29-05, 02:41 PM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
Is your mech as retarded as mine

I had a 89 ranger, a piece popped off one of the fuel injectors and made it run rough, so i took it to the local mechanic to get it replaced, Well i came back the next day because he told me he had it fixed, i get a bill for 500.00 saying New timing chain, and maintence, i asked him wtf that was about he replied the problem was the timing chain, i said i brought in the piece that poped off and showed you were it went, all i needed was for you to get a new one and put it on but instead you take the timing chain apart, he still insisted that the timing chain was the prob, so i got in started it up still rough, showed him that it did so he finally fixed the piece i told him to in the first place and it runs great now, but now not only do i got a bill for 500.00 i got another bill for 75.00 for him to replace what i told him to in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 03:34 PM
Wow! That sounds like exactly the kind of thing that scares me away from paying someone else to do the work.

I once paid $500 for a power steering leak repair. Got the car back with lots of new parts and the same old leak. I ultimately fixed the leak myself.

I once paid to have a serpentine belt replaced. They said the tension anchor bolt broke when they removed the belt and wanted an extra $100. I told them I had just examined the belt components including tension, etc before bringing it in. And I did. I also told them they broke the bolt because the mechanic was not familiar with the unusual procedure to loosen the tension, which of course, caused it to break. I did not have to pay for that one.

It pays to be a diy'er.

Old 06-29-05, 04:17 PM
Just out of curiosity - did you apporove this repair prior to the work being performed?

Old 06-29-05, 04:29 PM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
when i took it in he said he would fix what i showed him to fix, said he would have it done with in a days time, so i came back and he done the other on his own, i didn't approve anything except for what i told him to fix.

Old 06-29-05, 04:53 PM
If the repair was performed without your approval (signature on a RO), then why would you pay him?

Old 06-29-05, 05:00 PM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
I never said i paid him

Old 06-29-05, 05:07 PM
Then what's your point? If you want a good (non-retarded) mechanic - go find one. There are quite a few out there.

Old 06-29-05, 06:55 PM
flintkid
Visiting Guest
my point is sometimes its better to do stuff yourself than take it to a shop.

Old 06-30-05, 08:46 PM
Than take it to an inept shop, of course. But 'a shop' and an inept shop are not the same things. You call this guy 'my mechanic'. Why ? If he is 'yours' then you should be able to trust him.

Solution : refuse to pay for unauthorized work, find a shop you can trust.

Sure you should do what you can by yourself, but remember that not all shops are dishonest and not all repairs are do it yourself. Cars are incredibly complicated pieces of machinery that hold your life and the lives of those around you in their seats every day. At the very least you should realize that getting a professional diagnosis can save you tonnes of money and frustration when trying to fix things yourself.

In my experience people always have repair horror stories on the tips of their tongues, but when they find a place they like and trust they are just as happy to tell you. Ask around. Word of mouth is what keeps all good shops in business.

Old 06-30-05, 11:32 PM
I never said i paid him

but now not only do i got a bill for 500.00 i got another bill for 75.00 for him to replace what i told him to in the first place.
Sounds like you did???

Old 07-01-05, 08:48 AM
I think this illustrates the importance of finding a good mechanic and staying with them. I have luckily found such a mechanic and have been going to him for over 10 years and have developed a relationship that helps both of us. Does he charge more on some repairs than other shops would? Maybe, but I know that the work will be done right and he will stand behind it. I do some repairs myself and because of being a long time customer, my mechanic will answer questions I have in order to do the job myself. I can change a water pump, but would not attempt rebuilding a transmission.

Old 07-05-05, 12:40 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Yes, I've had a mechanic that stupid and that greedy

I once brought my Ford Taurus in for a "shimmy at 70 MPH" right after the new higher speed limits were re-instated. To make a long story short, after $550 repairs on the lower control arms and ball joints the car still had the shimmy. The cause? One or the rear tires was bad. Of course, I had already paid him for the initial work. Then he had the nerve to charge me another fee for the rear tire "diagnosis". What a crook!

Old 07-06-05, 08:06 PM
Chevyman
Visiting Guest
Chevy Dealership

I can top all these. Took 99 Chevy suburban in to Tulsa Chevy Dealership - had what sounded to me like exhaust leak - truck had 30K and was under warrenty. They had week and told me the crank bearings were bad and they replaced the 4 main bearings. I thought wow - was I off. Got in truck and had same noise - drove right back and got service manger to ride with me. He exclaimed - that sounds like an exhaust donut leaking - no S*** sherlock. They then replaced donut and low and behold no more noise. Years later when this vehicle had 124K it spun a crank bearing and was toasted.

Old 07-06-05, 08:12 PM
That is down right scary! I got to wonder if the original bearings would have lasted 300,000 miles.

Old 07-09-05, 06:09 AM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Chevyman, you must cringe every time you type your user name.... Anyway, my brother the local doctor wants to patronize the local dealership for obvious reasons and he couldn't even make it home with his brand new CHEVY van. It almost started a fire when the left front wheel bearing siezed!!! Talk about scary!

Last edited by wogster; 07-09-05 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Forgot the word "Chevy"