Suzuki Samauri steering noise..?

Old 06-30-05, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suzuki Samauri steering noise..?

Hello to all,
Just bought a '91 Suzuki Samauri JL 1.3 Liter 4wd from the original owner...57k miles...It runs great, but when I turn the steering wheel, there is a vibrating, humming, "rubbing" noise that seems to come from the steering column...But it's hard to tell exactly where along the steering assembly the noise is coming from...This vehicle does not have power steering, I'm guessing...But there is some sort of "module" or unit where the steering column meets up with the steering assembly on the front axle...

Is this a simple "lube" job, or something different??...Hope the description of the problem makes sense...

Thanks to all who reply,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 04:21 PM
Does this happen

when you turn the steering wheel a little bit, or is it only when you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right?

If only at full left or right, then my guess would be that the tires are rubbing on something, either inside the wheelwell or on a suspension component. I'd especially suspect this with oversize tires. Rubbing will usually show up as a shiny spot on metal, you could also turn the wheel and look to see if it's rubbing on anything.

If not, then I'd carefully check all the front-end componments for loseness/wear/bent, etc. Maybe take it to a good suspension/alignment shop for a through diagnoses?

If the all the suspension and steering checks out, then this may be related to the tread pattern on the tires. I once had some trail-rated tires with a very aggressive tread pattern that would do this...but I don't remember the brand or type they were.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by Desy2820; 06-30-05 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Another Idea
Old 06-30-05, 04:52 PM
Hey Desy,
Thanks for the quick reply....No, the tires don't rub against anything...And the noise, which sort of sounds like a low "moan", happens all during the turning radius...At intervals...Barely turn left, for instance, and it'll "moan" for a brief part of the turn....continue turning left, and it'll "moan" again...

I got lucky when I got this Samuari...It's in nearly pristine shape...Very clean...All of the front end suspension, frame, etc., looks almost new...no obvious damage or wear...

I'm thinking this is either a lube issue or something withing the actual "inside of the car" part of the steering column itself...

Again, thanks for y'all's help,
Matt

Old 06-30-05, 09:21 PM
First you have to determine whether or not it has power steering. Some of these vehicles did, some didn't. If yes, then it sounds like a power steering problem -- either low fluid, air in the system, or a hose vibrating/rubbing up against something. I have seen vehicles with redisigned hose routing to solve problems like this. Look for and service bulletins (Alldata will give the titles for free. Google it.). In this case the noise would continue whether or not you are moving the steering wheel (that is, while it is turned on direction or another and putting demand on the pump).

To figure it out look for a power steering pump or reservoir, or look for hydraulic lines going to the unit at the base of the steering shaft.

I don't have much experience with manual steering but I don't think the gear would cause the problems you describe. It is possibly a dry tie rod/ball joint, but it would be more of a creek/groan, and it would stop when the steering wheel is not moving.. This wouldn't show up as worn when checking the front end.

Old 07-01-05, 12:52 PM
Thanks hspr, I'll check it out....It only makes the noise when you turn the wheel back and forth...Whether or not the car's running....And, regardless of if I'm traveling down the road or parked in the driveway...

Like I said earlier, there's a "module" or "unit" at the base of the steering column that transfers the turning steering wheel into moving the front tires back and forth...but, I see no hoses or cables running in or out of the thing...

I'll let you guys know what I find out...

Thanks for the help...
Matt