84 Chevy SportVan Tirejack Help Needed

Old 06-30-05, 06:34 PM
lifecomm
Visiting Guest
84 Chevy SportVan Tirejack Help Needed

I have an 84 Chevy SportVan with a flat tire (no owners manual). I got out the jack to change the tire and realized I had no idea where it was to be placed on the body/frame. It appears to be the original crank-type (the hand crank is there). The jack has a flat area on top to place under something with one end that hangs over the side (to form a "J") that appears to hook under something - it looks like it is made to lift the van two different ways.

The front tire is the problem. One other thing: there are after-market side running boards attached to the body that run between the tires.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 06:54 PM
About all I can say is to look under the van, at the lower control arms and figure out a place to position the jack safely, or look at the bottom of the frame towards the front of the van for a spot to put the jack under. There are 2 different lift positions, I'd say 1 for the front and 1 for the rear of the van.

Old 07-02-05, 08:43 AM
lifecomm
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Mr. Dummas
About all I can say is to look under the van, at the lower control arms and figure out a place to position the jack safely, or look at the bottom of the frame towards the front of the van for a spot to put the jack under. There are 2 different lift positions, I'd say 1 for the front and 1 for the rear of the van.
Mr. Dummas:

Thanks for your help. Yep, the "J" shapped lip of the jack goes under the control arm - works slick, as only a few turns on the crank are required to lift the van. I assume the jack is placed under the axel for the back tire.

Tom