Windshield Scratches

Old 07-01-05, 02:05 PM
Smok10a
Visiting Guest
Windshield Scratches

I have some very minor scratches on my windshield. I've heard that if they are not too deep they could be removed by using Bon Ami cleanser. Anyone ever tried it???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
I use Bon-Ami all the time on my windshields to remove bugs. It works great for that, but I doubt it would work for scratches on the widshield. The good news is that Bon-Ami is cheap (my last can was 58 cents at WalMart) and there should be no harm to your windshield, so go ahead and give it a shot if you want.

Old 07-01-05, 03:26 PM
Based on my amateur experience with telescopes, and how to grind your own lens'es, I suspect you would have to rub a scratch for hours or days to remove it.

I believe it is futile. I have tried to remove scratches on soft metal such as aluminum,(much softer that glass) , using power buffers and polishing compounds and had no success what so ever.

Old 07-01-05, 08:49 PM
cheapfurcoat
Visiting Guest
Windshield glass can be buffed. Tempered side glass cannot.
Pros use a rare earth compound and a leather buffing pad. Care has to be taken not to buff a distortion into the glass when trying to remove scratches.
The rule of thumb is that if your fingernail catches on the scratch it is too deep to buff out.
Most old school glass shops do buffing but you will probably find that the labor cost to buff will come close to the cost of a replaced windshield.
Good luck!

Old 07-02-05, 10:04 PM
califb
Visiting Guest
Arrow Windshield scratch removal

Originally Posted by Smok10a
I have some very minor scratches on my windshield. I've heard that if they are not too deep they could be removed by using Bon Ami cleanser. Anyone ever tried it???
Here are three good suggestions that will work and cost A LOT less then a replacement or a glass repair shop:

1. If the scratches aren't really deep apply Rain X to the side of the window that has the scratches, paying special attention to the scratches themselves. It won't remove them from the glass but it will make them completely invisible. You will have to reapply it every month or so but it really works great.

2. There is a product you can get at any auto parts store (I can't remember the name) that is a clear liquid that is made to fill bullseye chips in windshields (costs about $7). Apply a small amount to the scratch and watch it disappear.

3. There is another product called Lens Doctor you can get at most drug stores that fills scratches in eyeglasses that works too. If the scratches are on the outside of the windshield you will also have to reapply it occasionally.