89 New Yorker Fuel Problem?

Old 07-03-05, 09:04 AM
bullsi
Visiting Guest
89 New Yorker Fuel Problem?

Have a 1989 New Yorker with very low mileage in great condition. Car has been in storage for past 4- 5 years. I have added some new gas and had driven the car about 20 miles with no problem. I parked the car in driveway and now it refuses to start. Cannot hear the fuel pump run with the key on and when I add fuel to air intake ( V6 with injection system, no carb) it runs for a few seconds and then dies. Its obviously a fuel shortage problem. Electronic dash fuel guage indicator shows that tank is empty and blinks showing to add fuel. Should be over 3/4 tank in it so this is perplexing. Why is this not working and how can I trouble shoot this problem. I have been under the tank and been tapping on it hopefully to jar a connection or something which hopefully would correct this but with no luck. I do see some corrosion around wiring at tank underneath. I have removed gas supply at engine and cannot seem to get any fuel up to engine. How can I trouble shoot this problem to determine if it is power to pump, plugged filter etc. Is there a fuse that can cause this problem? Why would it simply quit once parked on the driveway and now will not start & yet was driving OK? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Glen

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 12:55 PM
wogster
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by bullsi
Have a 1989 New Yorker with very low mileage in great condition. Car has been in storage for past 4- 5 years. I have added some new gas and had driven the car about 20 miles with no problem. I parked the car in driveway and now it refuses to start. Cannot hear the fuel pump run with the key on and when I add fuel to air intake ( V6 with injection system, no carb) it runs for a few seconds and then dies. Its obviously a fuel shortage problem. Electronic dash fuel guage indicator shows that tank is empty and blinks showing to add fuel. Should be over 3/4 tank in it so this is perplexing. Why is this not working and how can I trouble shoot this problem..............Why would it simply quit once parked on the driveway and now will not start & yet was driving OK? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Glen
I'm afraid you're in deep doo doo with that old gas in there. Open the gascap and stick your nose down there and see if it smells like turpentine or paint thinner. If it does, that is your problem.... Look for a drain plug and CAREFULLY drain out all the old gas. Keep it for starting bonfires, etc., but not to run in an internal combustion engine. The varnish that can build up from old gas is horrible and there's probably a filter that is totally plugged somewhere and/or the pump might be gunked up. Your fuel gauge sender sounds gunked up as well... Wish I had better news for you.... You might have to have the tank removed and boiled out, etc., but it sounds like the car is worth it.

Old 07-03-05, 02:03 PM
First thing is to drain the tank, change the fuel filter and then disconnect the line going to the fuel injection, place a can or something to catch the gas then see if gas reaches the can. If not your in tank fuel pump will have to be replaced. You can hit the tank with a mallet and that will sometimes get the pump going. I suspect the pump is varnished over and will need to be changed but you might get lucky and get it back if you run a number of tankfulls of gas through it.

Old 07-04-05, 08:09 AM
bullsi
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys, your input is much appreciated. I hear you on the gas. It did have a foul smell that is why I had mixed in new gas which I thought would dilute the old gas. The car has run for quite a while as well and the part that perplexes me the most is that after running the engine for about 1/2 hour or more and then driving it for a 20 mile cruise, car was running fine. I park it in the driveway and now no go no matter what....This seems just too coincidental but is possible I know, always Murphy's law. I will try blowing gas back down the lines into the tank to unclog a pump intake. Good tip. Is there a simple test to see if fuel pump is putting out? Cannot hear any noise from pump when ignition is on and I am right under the rear of the tank. Is there no fuse on this? As well, the location of the fuel filter which I would change . Is this located in the tank? Thanks for your help.
Glen