2000 Toyota Noisy New Brakes AGAIN!!!!

Old 07-03-05, 11:34 AM
2000 Toyota Noisy New Brakes AGAIN!!!!

Awhile back I posted about new front brakes that were noisy. (Quiet for about 3 weeks, then developing a chirp and grum-grum-grum). Suspecting they were installed incorrectly by a local mechanic we took it to the city to Toyota and had them redone with Toyota pads. They new set of pads were quiet but after about three weeks they are noisier now than with the first set. Here's what they sound like...driving down the highway, especially at lower speeds up to 40, I hear a rather noisy chirp-chirp-chirp from the R front wheel and a lighter chirp from the left. The sound speeds up if I increase speed, slows down if I slow down, so I know it is in the wheel. If I touch the brakes ever so lightly, the chirping sound stops. Then at lower speeds if I ease down on the brakes a bit more to coast to a very slow stop, I hear a grum-grum-grum as the brake pads hit the rotor. I was told the rotor was ground at installation. With both installations we had quiet for about three weeks, then the noise began. So what gives? And what should I tell my Toyota dealer next time I see him (Tuesday!!)
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 12:34 PM
Fix it!......

Old 07-04-05, 02:30 PM
Well, Yah! That's exactly what I want to tell him! But what is it that two different mechanics have failed to do that causes this noise about two weeks after installation? I'm a woman, and even though I can pump gas, check the oil, etc., I don't know a thing about brakes but I would like to be able to speak "Toyota brake language" when I call them Tuesday. Thanks.

Old 07-04-05, 05:04 PM
There is no need, you spoke a language thay understood...$$$$$$

Hope you paid with plastic, you can dispute the charge if not repaired.

Old 07-20-05, 03:37 PM
Still noisy after another visit

Took the car to the Toyota dealer a week or so ago and the noise is no different than before. Could it be that the rotors were not ground properly the first try????

Old 07-20-05, 05:52 PM
the rotors might need replaced. toyotaman probably knows a lot better than me but could it be that the rotors are warping, they are old, ground down rotors.

Old 07-21-05, 12:24 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
have them either replace or resurface the rotors, its always a good idea to do that when getting new pads, that should most likely fix your noise problems

Old 07-21-05, 02:42 AM
At this point you may need new rotors, could be below the minimum thickness from all the cutting.

Your problem stems from improper cutting. The best cutting would be use of “on car lathe”