2000 Ford Explorer

Old 07-03-05, 11:59 AM
2000 Ford Explorer

What could cause a car not to start if the battery is good? It ran perfectly fine last night. Any ideas would be wonderful. We have a baseball game in a few hours. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 05:49 PM
The obvious question is, How do you know the battery is good? Did you just buy it yesterday?

Old 07-03-05, 06:36 PM
Also, does the engine roll over or what?

Old 07-04-05, 02:16 AM
The engine turns over and sounds like it wants to start. All the lights are very bright.

Old 07-04-05, 04:05 AM
jungleg49
Visiting Guest
Try this. I have the same vehicle.

Try unplugging the Air flow sensor where the air filter is. Then try to start the car. I have the same vehicle and it has done this twice on me. I had the same problem on another car a few years back. This sensor detects air flow cold or hot and tells the engine how much gas to give like a choke on an old style carburated system. Unplugged it defaults to factory settings so the engine gives you gas. and if you have spark perhaps it will fire. I plugged mine back in and it so far hasn't caused me any more problems. With electronic controls Its not like working on the old cars, but with help from great people that I see on this forum perhaps all of us can keep on motoring. Good luck.

Old 07-04-05, 04:43 AM
Its cranking good and the engine trouble light is not lit up. Time to check spark and fuel.

Begin with fuel. After the car has sat for a few minutes, turn the key on but don't crank it. Listen for the sound of the fuel pump running. You will hear a electric motor run for about 2 seconds then stop. It's in the gas tank but you can hear it from the drivers seat.

Old 07-04-05, 06:54 AM
check all your fuses, especially to the pcm.