Clunking noise over speed bump

Old 07-04-05, 08:35 AM
Clunking noise over speed bump

98 Plymouth Breeze, 50K mi., 4 cylinders, 2.0L
1) CLUNKING NOISE:
When the car goes over speed bumps or pot holes, I hear clunking (heavy metallic sound) from the front. When brake pedal is pressed, the noise disappears. Lubricated caliper pins. Noise improved. When I shake caliper assembly with hand, outer brake pad hits casting and make noise. The pad is sitting correctly.
2) CREEPING NOISE:
The car travels straight at constant speed. Occasionally, I hear creeping noise. It is not a squeaking type noise. It is more like the sound effect in a movie when a car is hung on a cliff. But when passenger moves to get out of the vehicle, the car moves and makes this kind of sound. I am not sure if I described it correctly.

CV joints are okay. Top zerk fitting was greased. By the way, the engine was flooded and replaced, if it is important.

3) What position does stabilizer bar come out unstressed? I mean if I want to replace both rubber bushing and the link assembly? Should the tires not touch the ground? I am suspecting the bushings and link assembly that add to the noise above.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-05, 01:04 PM
Sounds like the classic, sway(stab) bar bushing/end link. Fairly straight forward to do, might want to invest in a Chiltons book for reference.

Old 07-05-05, 11:33 PM
Do you mean sway bar bushing/end link can make both clunking and creeping noise?
Thank you.

Old 07-11-05, 07:04 PM
I replaced stabilizer bar end link on the left and the creeping noise is 70% gone now. I am going to replace the right one, too. But I have a question.

The end link is L shaped. the vertical leg is connected to the lower control arm, and the horizontal leg to stabilizer bar. In OEM part, the vertical leg pivots. But in the replacement part from AutoZone, the horizontal leg pivots. By the way, what pivots is just the end portion, not the entire leg.

I have been thinking about the way stabilizer bar works. As the car turns left, right side sinks. This pushes the stabilizer bar down. But as the bar is pushed down, it is twisted in torsion, making further twisting more difficult.

Since the load on the end link is up/down, it is better for the vertical leg to pivot (seems to me). What do you think?
Thanks.

PS: I did not replace bushings for they are dealer items and about $100 per piece. I hope the noise disappears with end link replacement for $40 each.