cold engine hesitation

Old 07-05-05, 07:59 PM
rcer
Visiting Guest
cold engine hesitation

I have a 89 chevy cavalier z24 with a 2.8 v6 w/auto. The car has been reliable and is in very good shape even though it has 160,000+ miles on it. The engine has been taken care of and doesn't use oil, knock or have any valvetrain noise. The problem is when its cold it hesitates under acceleration bad enough sometimes it almost dies. When its warmed up the hesitation goes away but then it has a light surging while crusing at around 30-35 mph. The spark plugs and wires have less than 3,000 miles on them, the egr and pcv valves are "newer" , I put sea foam in the tank a few times, I checked the throttle position sensor with a volt meter and got a reading of .78v with throttle closed, 5.2v with throttle open and a smooth reading through out the range. It don't have any codes in the computer and no "check engine" light. What do you think??

Old 07-05-05, 09:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Test your coolent temp sensor volts against the specs. If it is faulty, the ECU may think the engine is warm when it is actually cold, thus starving the fuel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: