Small oil leak

Old 07-07-05, 09:50 AM
Small oil leak

I have a 94 Camry and noticed a couple oil spots in my garage. I looked underneath real quick and the entire bottom of the oil pan is wet with oil. But the amount of oil leaking out is extremely small, maybe a few drops overnight. Any thoughts where the leak is coming from? I haven't had time to check the tightness of the drain plug or oil filter yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-05, 06:35 PM
Well those are the first things to check. So when ya get time do just that. Have you had an oil change recently? The lube guy could have left a mess and thats the reason or you could have a legitimate leak. There are way too many places for oil to leak from for us to even begin to guess here. Any seal could have developed a leak so you will have to LOOK at it to find out for sure.
Good Luck,
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 07-07-05, 07:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you crawl under there try to clean up all the oil on the oil pan and whtever else you can get to. Check to see if the oil pan bolts are snug. You will probably need to clean the engine some before you can determine where the oil is coming from [unless you find something obvious first]

Old 07-07-05, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
When our previous Camry ('95, 4 cyl) started leaking, it leaked first from the distributor seal, followed by the other end of the cam (timing gear end), and when we traded it off it had started to leak from the oil pump gear shaft (or housing) seal. Also the main bearing seals, but not enough to be worth the effort to fix. I had the seals to repair it, but it wasn't leaking bad enough for me to get motivated enough to do it.

Old 07-07-05, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
When our previous Camry ('95, 4 cyl) started leaking, it leaked first from the distributor seal, followed by the other end of the cam (timing gear end), and when we traded it off it had started to leak from the oil pump gear shaft (or housing) seal. Also the main bearing seals, but not enough to be worth the effort to fix. I had the seals to repair it, but it wasn't leaking bad enough for me to get motivated enough to do it. All of the leaks on the right end of the engine found their way down to the back side of the oil pan area.