2000 Chevy Venture problem...intake manifold gasket

Old 07-07-05, 10:58 PM
2000 Chevy Venture problem...intake manifold gasket

returned from our local chevy dealer earlier today....who claims that the intake manifold gasket on our chevy venture needs to be replaced. I would like to replace it...only thing is the tag is quite hefty...he gave me an estimate of $670.00!

my question....how does one conclude that the intake manifold gasket needs replacement. Does it leak internally...i dont see any leaks outside.
please help with advice asap...since we have a long trip coming up shortly.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 02:53 AM
it could leak coolant either internal or external could also cause a vacum leak.
suggest you talk with the technician that looked at your vehicle im sure he could explain to you where it is leaking at.

Old 07-08-05, 10:55 AM
Angry

Originally Posted by pungu01
returned from our local chevy dealer earlier today....who claims that the intake manifold gasket on our chevy venture needs to be replaced. I would like to replace it...only thing is the tag is quite hefty...he gave me an estimate of $670.00!

my question....how does one conclude that the intake manifold gasket needs replacement. Does it leak internally...i dont see any leaks outside.
please help with advice asap...since we have a long trip coming up shortly.

Thanks in advance
Find out if its leaking coolant internally, if it is it will ruin an engine in short order.

Old 07-08-05, 05:33 PM
I've done a "few" of these job, diagnosed a few more..If you know where to look, a lot of them are "obvious" leaks, externally. I do agree with both other posts/messages..Check with the tech who actually diagnosed it, and yes, coolant internally (gets in the oil) will fry the engine in short order...The place on the engine I see them leak 8 out of 10 times, is on the rear of the engine, above the transmission, where the rear head,intake manifold and engine block all meet together. The coolant then run down the transmission bell housing, and often is evaporated before it hits the ground. If you do the job yourself, make sure you get the updated intake gasket set from Fel Pro..MUCH better design than OE style, and also take the extra time to replace the oil pump drive O-Ring. BTW, don't mix up the pushrods when you do the work

Old 07-08-05, 05:34 PM
This is a very well known problem on the 2.8L, 3.1L and the 3.4L. They leak mostly externally. If you were to look with a flashlight underneath and behind the thermostat housing, you will see where it gathers on top of the engine block. If you were to look under the vehicle, you would see both oil and coolant between the engine oil pan and transmission. Some coolant may leak into the engine, but we have never had one come back for bearing failure. But I'm sure if one was to go too long with this leak, bearing failure would occur most definately. By the way, our shop charges a little over $700.00 for this repair.

Also, you may want to have the shop inspect the rear head gasket at the front lower corner of the engine. This is also a known failure on these engines.

Old 07-08-05, 05:40 PM
msargent, very good point for anyone doing an intake job on these engines.........make sure you don't mix up the push rods and replace the oil pump drive O-ring. Also, GM had recently updated these gaskets for the 3rd or 4th time . Fel Pro may very well be the way to go if you are doing this yourself.