K&N Air Filters

Old 07-08-05, 08:13 PM
K&N Air Filters

I have been reading some bad things about K&N air filters lately.(oil leaking to maf sensor causing early failure,not filtering that good etc.) Anybody have any thoughts on these?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 08:24 PM
An air filter is an AIR filter. It has nothing to do with oil flow and can not cause an oil leak. Unless maybe, and this is a long shot, It is clogged and causing strain on other systems. Air Filters are designed with one thing in mind. Letting clean air enter your engine. They have no bearing on any fluids.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 07-08-05, 08:35 PM
I should have made my self clear. I mean the air intake pulling small amounts of oil through from oiling the filter. It seems that not over oiling would prevent it.
I was just reading today about small amounts of oil coming through the filter & causing early maf sensor failure.

Old 07-08-05, 08:46 PM
Where is the oil coming from? That would be the question I would be asking, rather than "why is this high priced air filter letting oil into my MAF." I would be thinking that there is a blockage in the PCV system allowing too much crankcase pressure and where else can it go but out the bypass and into the air filter element providing your vehicle has a bypass hose into the filter box.
HMMM....
I wonder why they wanta blame the effect rather than the cause??? Makes no sense to me
Billy

Old 07-08-05, 08:48 PM
I think he's saying that they're purposely oiling the air filter, and then wonder why it's fouling the MAF.

Old 07-08-05, 08:53 PM
LOL.... I figured that. Thats why I say, "Why are they blaming the air filter?"

Old 07-09-05, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by billys68ss
LOL.... I figured that. Thats why I say, "Why are they blaming the air filter?"
That would require a minimal level of COMMON SENSE, would it not?

Old 07-09-05, 07:15 AM
K & N filters are responsible for maf problems.

Personally, I would not buy one. However, many swear by the KN filters. If you are determined to use them, then they seem to be safe to use if you do not over oil the filter. Good luck.

The only reason you might want to use one is if you live on a long dusty gravel road or drive in dusty construction sites, etc.

Old 07-09-05, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by racefan
I have been reading some bad things about K&N air filters lately.(oil leaking to maf sensor causing early failure,not filtering that good etc.) Anybody have any thoughts on these?
Over oiling the filter (it is an oil/cloth filter rather than a paper element) could cause it to leak onto the MAF sensor causing the sensor to need cleaning

With regular proper maintenence the filter never has to be replaced

The biggest problems with them are people clean/oil them too often

They actually flow a little better when they get a little dirty

Really they go between 50K and 100K easy before needing cleaning, unless you have some unusual circumstances

It depends on how your engine is set up as to how much of a torque or horsepower gain you will get
It almost always adds something

This is from personal experience, not advertising hype
I have used them on all my vehicles (whenever possible), and vehicles under my care, for years...actually I think I'm into decades now

I'm not sure if I can quantify "not filtering that good" type problems
But several of the vehicles ran K&Ns since they were born and went over 160K on them
The engines were all in great condition when sold/traded-in
I never ran into any thing like that

I'm guessing you must be considering one or you wouldn't be reading about them?

It really depends what you have and what you want to get out of it, if they are a good idea for you

Old 07-10-05, 12:01 PM
vwbr
Visiting Guest
For the people here that don't really know, the filter is Supposed to have oil on it thats how it works. The oil they use however seems to damage the MAF's I just recently removed mine because of this, seeing that the MAF on my car costs around $450.

Old 07-10-05, 02:36 PM
Ford Mo Co specifically prohibits the use of oiled air filters (such as K&N) because it can foul MAF sensors. Use of such filters voids warranty.

Old 07-11-05, 07:05 AM
I would not use one

I have used K&N on my cars before but that was before they had MAF sensors.I have talked to few friends that have had CEL lights come on after they installed the filters.The cleaned the MAF sensors and all was good.I dont want to take a chance with my luck I would mess up the sensor while cleaning it.
To me the cost of a good paper filter and ease of insallation vs the cost and all that is involved in cleaning and re oiling a K&N and the possibbility of messing up the MAF it is not worth it.

Old 07-13-05, 03:25 AM
I submitted this question directly to K&N's Technical support staff. This is the reply I received:
Thank you for your interest in K&N products. K&N air filters require oil to filter properly. After cleaning they need re-oiled. If the filter is over oiled it may contaminate the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor if so equipped. When this happens, all you need to do is clean the filter and oil with the appropriate amount of oil and clean the MAF.

The MAF gets contaminated regardless if a stock filter of any oiled style filter is used. The crankcase breather allows crankcase gasses to enter the intake track and be sucked into a running engine for emission purposes. When the engine is warm/hot and shut off, these same gasses/vapors will fill the whole intake track because there is no vacuum to pull them into the cylinder. When these gasses cool and condense they leave a film on the MAF hot wire. Over time the accumulation will prevent the MAF from designed operation and need cleaning. Also it has been seen that paper elements also allow microscopic pieces of paper to actually burn to the wire and build up. Many shops perform MAF cleaning as a service regardless if it is equipped with an oil style filter or not.

Apparently it is up to the end user to re-oil the filter. From what I get from this reply, the end user who has experienced the MAF problems due to the "oil contamination" is over oiling the filter and obviously needs to be educated on the proper technique and amount of oil necessary to properly "re-oil" the filter.
I hope this helps everyone interested. It certainly shed some light for me.
Billy

Old 07-13-05, 11:16 AM
Bodie
Visiting Guest
K&N ROCKS on ly way oil can go anywhere is if you over soaked it.

Old 07-13-05, 12:55 PM
GM will not warranty a MAF that has a oiled filter, lots of problems with the Hummers. BTW for you young people that type of filter was designed in the 1920s, were used on airplanes, after you leave the ground not much dirt. I would not use one on my lawn mower.

Old 07-13-05, 07:44 PM
1920's ! I think liquid oil filters were used into the 40's on cars. Very good design for that technological era.

Old 07-15-05, 08:12 AM
Lugnut

My Stock 64 Corvair Had An Oil Bath Pre-cleaner Up Stream From The Paper Element Cleaner At Each Carb.

Vw Used Oil Bath Cleaners Into The Early 70's.

Of Course These Cars Did Not Have Maf Sensor To Foul.

Old 07-15-05, 09:14 AM
Ive had no problems with the K&N on the end of my cai (cold air intake) on my mx6. As its on the end of the piping..nothing gets up to the MAF...xcept for air. You probably over oiled the filter. The directions on the K&N cleaner kit specifically says 'Sparingly' respray the filter after its cleaned and dry.

Old 07-19-05, 12:50 PM
K&Ns Do Not Void Warranty

Neither Ford nor GM will void their warranty if you use a K&N air filter
They are not allowed to by law
They can only void the warranty on the parts affected by the filter failure, if the filter should suffer a failure

I certainly have not run into any issues with Toyota, Nissan, Ford or GM so far
In fact I was in a dealer the other day and asked about it
The parts guy then pointed out the display of K&Ns they had for sale

Just to make sure I contacted both Ford and GM and rec'd the same answer from both
The warranty is not voided
"...installing the K&N air filter would not void your factory warranty..."

Old 07-19-05, 05:26 PM
I wonder if 'they' mean using a K&N 'drop-in' filter as a replacement in the stock set-up, vs a 'cone' type filter at the end of tubing running down in the engine bay!!?!?!

Search this Thread