2001 taurus break rotor

Old 07-09-05, 07:56 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2001 taurus break rotor

i have a 2001 ford taurus and i just replaced the front pads,and im getting a bad shake in the steering wheel when braking.shake was there before pad change...rotors look good as far as thickness and smooth,but im thinking maybe one is warped....the shaking in the steering only happenes when brakes are applied....rotors seem easy enough to change looks like only 2 small bolts holding bracket on that holds caliper....anyone have any advice rather then spend 60.00 on new rotors and that not being the problem....thanks for any help....

Old 07-09-05, 07:59 AM
P
Definitely a rotor. Replacement/resurface option depends on the actual thickness, which will require a micrometer measurement to determine.

Old 07-09-05, 08:26 AM
L
thanks for the reply....is anyone familiar with ford rotors...i was used to the old style rotor that was help one with wheel bearing,and lug nut studs pressed right into rotor....this looks real simple,take off caliper,then the bracket that hold the caplier and rotor comes off over lug nut studs...seems simple but i just want to make sure it is as simple as it looks....thanks

Old 07-09-05, 08:44 AM
P
Yes, just slides on over the studs.

Old 07-09-05, 09:46 AM
J
There might be a retaining clip, used in the assembly process, if this is the 1st time the rotors have been replaced. 02 taurus owner here, I've heard it's not uncommon for the rotors to warp, even before 30K miles. If the rotors are stuck, they are probably rusted on. Use some rust penetrant and a good hammer if needed.

Old 07-09-05, 11:33 AM
L
thanks guys...job is complete and new rotors and smooth braking is back.. .rotors came off very easy, and believe it or not only had 15000 miles on them,but in my local auto parts store ,the owner said the shop that replaced them probably put on the cheapest ones so i went for 120.00 and got 2 wagner brand....keeping fingers crossed they last a little longer the the other ones,and next time ill go for the 25.00 and have them cut first...again thanks for the help and i would advise anyone that is a little handy with tools to do it yourself and use good parts,may only save you a few dollars compared to a shop but at least you will know your parts are of good quality....thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: