gauges wrong, car dead

Old 07-10-05, 03:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gauges wrong, car dead

We have a 2001 Toyota Avalon. It operated normally earlier in the day. Later, on turning the ignition, nothing happened. The tachometer and speedometer needles are at 11:00: the engine temperature and gas guages are pointing straight up. Should we attempt to jump the car? Does the gauge problem indicate some other electrical or computer problem? Would you have the car towed to the dealer?

Old 07-10-05, 03:59 PM
BuzzCut
Visiting Guest
Possible faulty battery connections. Clean and try starting it. If the battery is original I would look at the replacement of it. The guage problems are probably due to the fact the battery is dead or the connections have a ton of corrosion on them thus no power to them.

Originally Posted by Jill of all trades
We have a 2001 Toyota Avalon. It operated normally earlier in the day. Later, on turning the ignition, nothing happened. The tachometer and speedometer needles are at 11:00: the engine temperature and gas guages are pointing straight up. Should we attempt to jump the car? Does the gauge problem indicate some other electrical or computer problem? Would you have the car towed to the dealer?

Old 07-11-05, 06:43 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yep battery

I would also suspect the battery 2001 I am thinking original battery.These new cars are very unforgiving with faulty batterys they do all kinds of strange things.I would go to the battery first and like said clean posts and start looking at a new battery.4 years is about average life span.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: