Question on drum brakes

Old 07-10-05, 06:29 PM
Question on drum brakes

Just decided to service the rear (drum) brakes on my car. 80K miles and shoes never replaced. Got new shoes and opened it up to replace. Found that the original shoes were hardly worn (by comparing the lining thickness with the new ones). Also the adjuster on one side had moved a lot more than the other side although the lining thickness looked similar. I reset the adjusters after installing the new shoes and closed it all up. I do notice that the parking brake is a bit tighter now and also the brake pedal has a little more resistance than before.

I did not see anything wrong and all parts looked to be in good shape. My question is - Is the rate of wear normal or is there something not working correctly that could be causing this.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 08:41 PM
most drum brakes do have some self adjusting capability but often do not work very good, and may be dependent on using the emergency brake often.
so it isn't really unusual to see very little wear even at 80000 miles.

Old 07-10-05, 08:50 PM
According to the service manual the self adjustment happens during normal brake application. I do always engage the parking brake when parked anyway. Some info on the web seems to suggest that in many cars the self adjusting mechanism does not always work that well as you say and may require manual adjustment every so often.

Old 07-11-05, 06:24 AM
things to consider

Things like the weight of the car have a lot to do with the rear brake wear I have pulled drums on my little corolla to check shoes and was amazed at how long they last.Also most of the stopping is done by the front pads.If you had no brake problems I would not worry about it I would be happy that your car does not eat brakes.Also if you drive mostly interstate that is a factor.

Search this Thread