87 4Runner front driveaxle problem

Old 07-10-05, 08:50 PM
87 4Runner driveaxle NEW PHOTOS

87 4 Runner SR5 4WD Manual Locking front hubs.
Photos at http://community.webshots.com/album/392135488cWoXxm Click on photos for larger view

I'm trying to replace the right front driveaxle and cannot get enough clearance to get it out. Only thing I have to go by is Haynes manual from parts store. The instructions are...
1. Support vehicle securely on jackstands. Remove the wheel.
2. Remove the six driveaxle-to-differential side gear flange nuts.
3. Remove the freewheeling hub.
4. Using a pair of snap-ring pliers, remove the snap-ring from the outer end of the driveaxle. Slide the spacer off the axle.
5.Separate the inboard joint from the differential side gear flange the carefully pull the driveaxle outer end from the steering knuckle/hub.

One thing I'm not sure of is step 4. Is the snap-ring and spacer they are talking about on the tire side of the spindle plate or the back side? I have nothing left to remove on the tire side that I can see. The shaft slides back and forth freely inside the spindle.

The other thing I wondered about is when I remove the nuts mentioned in step 2 it still leaves the bolts in the flange on the differential. It seems if they came out I may could get it passed the flange on the differential so I could pull it out. Problem is I can't figure how to remove them. They don't seem to turn and I've tapped them, but not too hard, to see if they drive out but no luck.

I have the vehicle on stand with control arm hanging down but resting on floor jack. I've tried raising the lower control arm with the jack and it does provide more clearance but still not enough.

Been at it 6hrs and so far nada...

Last edited by scrollmaster; 07-11-05 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 06:45 AM
Added Photos

I added photos to the original post. You can view at...
http://community.webshots.com/album/392135488cWoXxm
Click on any photo to enlarge

Thanks for any help... I'm stuck right now.
Dennis

Old 07-11-05, 06:58 AM
I don't remember ever having one of these apart, but from looking at the pics, I'd just take the st. knuckle off - you're 90% there anyway.

Old 07-11-05, 06:05 PM
I've done a couple, and yes it's a tight fit.. On 1, I was able to turn the spindle (as if turning a corner) this gave me enough space to rotate the drive axle 1 way, and the differential the opposite way, and "unwind" the 2 from each other. Was still a pain in the "sitting area".. The suggestion to remove the spindle is a good 1, but seeing as the truck is resting on the lower ball joint, you may be able to get away with seperating just the upper ball joint, and pulling the spindle out away from the truck. As for the tie rod end, they do make ball joint and tie rod end "splitters".. Old school caled 'em pickle forks..Autozone should be able to rent both to you...

Old 07-11-05, 06:26 PM
Remove the lower balljoint (4) 14 mm bolts.....the easiest way to move the spindle.

Old 07-11-05, 07:53 PM
I did finally remove the spindle plate. I removed the tie rod end (was bad anyway), unbolted the 4 bolts that had the lower ball joint and the lower bolt of the shock and thought that would do it. Almost did but not quite so had to unbolt the 4 bolts holding the upper ball joint. Decided to replace ball joints also while have them out.

MSARGENT, I used a pitman puller I got on loan from Advanced Auto to separate from the ball joint stud. I have the truck supported on jack stands, the lower ball joint was temporarily on the floorjack so I could move the arm up and down trying to get more room.

Last edited by scrollmaster; 07-11-05 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 05:42 PM
Good deal!! (Jack stands..) From the looks of the picture, it looked like floor jack only.. And good idea about replacing those other parts at the same time