A/c problem on a 95 Toyota Tacoma

Old 07-12-05, 10:41 AM
cts24
Visiting Guest
A/c problem on a 95 Toyota Tacoma

Original compressor on my Tacoma locked up and had to replace it.
Bought a remanufactured compressor, new dryer and expansion valve. Had a mechanic install, flush system and re-charge system about a month and a half ago. Put quite a bit of money into this.
The a/c has worked like a Swiss watch up until about two weeks ago. It still cools but not to the degree that it did and I'm hearing a high pitch squeal coming from the compressor when it is engaged. It started doing this just a little at first but now it's all the time.
I have an a/c switch on the controls inside the truck that can turn the compressor on /off while the blower will continue to run. This stops the squealing when I press the switch.
My worst fear is that I've spent all of this money to repair this system and I was sold a piece of junk compressor.
Am I right? Is this compressor about to lock up?
I've checked the belt and it doesn't feel loose. Don't have gauges to check freon.
Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks,
Chuck

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-05, 06:43 PM
When compressor got bad on two of my cars, my mechanic told me not to use a remanufactured one. He said I would regret it. So I put new ones in. FYI.

Old 07-13-05, 05:33 AM
First, to state the obvious, I hope the mechanic didn't forget to charge the proper amount of lubricant in the system.

Have you tried turning the compressor by hand? This'll give you a feel of whether the compressor is starting to seize or of you have another problem such as a bad a/c clutch.

Like puter said, it's not unusual to see a difference in quality between remanufactured and new compressors. I hope there is some kind of warranty for your compressor.

Old 07-13-05, 11:50 AM
well hopefully it is a new compressor. I got burned on some ac work. Shop used a junkyard compressor and didnt put in any oil. could be the clutch, take off the belt and see if it rotates smoothly.

Old 07-13-05, 01:17 PM
I don't think you need to remove the belt. Just grab the part that is outside the pulley.

Old 07-13-05, 04:52 PM
DNT1
Visiting Guest
I would pull the belt and grab the compressor pulley and turn it by hand feeling for any roughness or side to side play if everything feels good I would hand turn every other pulley and idler sometimes a bad waterpump or alternator etc will only squeal when the load of the compressor running is added to the belt. You probably have a bad compressor but it is always worth a check you might just luck out on this one!

Search this Thread