Grand Cherokee "Brake Shake"

Old 07-14-05, 10:17 AM
Big E
Visiting Guest
Question Grand Cherokee "Brake Shake"

I have a 96' Grand Cherokee, in-line 6,4.0L, 2WD. About 9 mos ago I replaced all 4 rotors and put new ceramic pads on. Everything was fine until about a month ago. When breaking at high speeds, there is a vibration that now feels like it is coming from all 4 wheels. A month ago it was speradic and only seemed to come from the front. Now it comes from all 4 and is pretty regular. Occasionally, there is no vibration and it has a smooth stop? The jeep now has 145,000 miles and I have not needed any other mechanical work besides a new tranny. What could this be? Master Cyl. Slave Cyl. Calipers or brake lines? Please don't say pads or rotors as this was about the 3rd set of rotors I've put on and about the 4 set of pads.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Big E
Please don't say pads or rotors as this was about the 3rd set of rotors I've put on and about the 4 set of pads.
Sorry, sounds like rotors to me. As far as a hydraulic problem - you can verify that there is no uneven wear, signs of overheating, etc. In the absence of that, chalk it up to the high quality parts available in today's world.

Old 07-14-05, 02:51 PM
You could have the rotors checked for runout and have them grinded down if necessary. There might be an underlying cause of the warped rotors though, such as incorrectly tourqed lug nuts or worn wheel bearings.

Old 07-14-05, 06:41 PM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by pmgheritage
Sorry, sounds like rotors to me. As far as a hydraulic problem - you can verify that there is no uneven wear, signs of overheating, etc. In the absence of that, chalk it up to the high quality parts available in today's world.
I agree don't go with cheap rotors, there is a reason for the price difference. The cheap ones use less cooling fins and are not angled like the OEM ones. And get rid of those ceramic pads, the idea is great but they generate way to much heat. I have been in this buisness for 25 years and I will tell you that it may hurt the wallet, but when it comes to brakes OEM is the only way to go if you do not want problems.

Old 07-14-05, 07:49 PM
Sound like rotors
Ask for the North American ones
They'll be more
Go out of your way to get them if need be
Tell the sales guy you don't care which ones he sells to shops all day, you want U.S.A or Canada stamped on them

And use a torque wrench to tighten your lugs to specs listed in your manual

If you can repack the bearings (not all vehicles you can) do so while the wheels are off, or at this point (9 years) get some new ones

Old 07-16-05, 06:49 PM
Toyota_Doctor
Visiting Guest
Pads and rotors. Have them checked for run-out and parallelism. OEM is definetly the way to go. Then use a torque stick or wrench when putting lugs back on with impact.