1992 Geo Storm Transmission Leak

Old 07-15-05, 05:38 PM
1992 Geo Storm Transmission Leak

I was told my car is leaking at the transmission seal. Is that a hrd job and how much labor is involved to change the seal. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-05, 06:23 PM
Depends on which seal. If it is the pan gasket, then it is no big deal. Get yourself a manual and go for it.

Old 07-16-05, 04:43 PM
It isnt the pan gasket, he said it was the main seal for the transmission. Does that job require a lot of labor? Hard to do?

Old 07-18-05, 12:05 AM
I think you need to ask him what seal he is referring to. There are many seals in the transmission - I'm not sure if any one of them is considered a main seal. He may be referring to a gasket that seals the two halves of the transmission. Unless it is simply a sensor o-ring or the pan gasket, in most other cases the transmssion has to be removed to carry out the repair. Although the seal itself will be very cheap - the cost of the labor to remove the tranny and replace the seal (which in itself is not too complex) may turn out expensive.

Old 07-18-05, 10:13 PM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by rav12
I think you need to ask him what seal he is referring to. There are many seals in the transmission - I'm not sure if any one of them is considered a main seal. He may be referring to a gasket that seals the two halves of the transmission. Unless it is simply a sensor o-ring or the pan gasket, in most other cases the transmssion has to be removed to carry out the repair. Although the seal itself will be very cheap - the cost of the labor to remove the tranny and replace the seal (which in itself is not too complex) may turn out expensive.
Fixing transmissions is tough business. Usually if you change the fluid or otherwise tamper with them, they go out eventually. I'd assume if you change the seal it'll also mean bad news down the road. I think you'll just be putting off the inevitable transmission replacement.

Search this Thread