overheated 2002 ss monte carlo

Old 07-17-05, 12:52 PM
rward1
Visiting Guest
Exclamation overheated 2002 ss monte carlo

I was driving up a long grade and the temperature guage began climbing. The outside air temp was about 110. I was just to the top of the hill when the red light came on. I slowed down and as soon as I went over the top of the hill the temp started comming down and the red light went off.Not until I was on my way home the temp began to rise again (hit about 240) but red light did NOT come on but a check engine light came on. I pulled over for a while but when I started the engine has NO POWER. The owners manual says something about the engine going into the "overheated engine protection operating mode. My question is, has anyone out the encounterd a similar problem , and what was done to correct it. Headgasket, valve job, sensor, etc. !

Last edited by rward1; 07-19-05 at 08:36 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 10:23 PM
jon_k
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by rward1
I was driving to vegas and the temperature guage began climbing. The outside air temp was about 110. I was just to the top of the hill when the red light came on. I slowed down and as soon as I went over the top of the hill the temp started comming down and the red light went off.Not until I was on my way home the temp began to rise again (hit about 240) but red light did NOT come on but a check engine light came on. I pulled over for a while but when I started the engine has NO POWER. The owners manual says something about the engine going into the "overheated engine protection operating mode.
And your question is of your story is?

Old 07-19-05, 07:59 PM
rward1
Visiting Guest
Question plugged catalytic converter

I took the car to a highly recommended mechanic, he ran a diagnostic on the whole engine and said the engine is fine, all sensors are working etc. He said the exhaust system is plugged up and that there is a 99% chance it will be the CAT. I called the dealership and they told me that it has a 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty. Since the car only has 76500 miles on it it should be under warranty, my only reservation is that they will try and replace a bunch of sensors as well so I get stuck paying for something I don't need.. They also told me I had had to wait a week before they could get me in. I will post the results in a week anybody interested in the results? Please, If you know something else I should know about I'm all ears (eyes).

Old 07-21-05, 03:54 PM
themechanix
Visiting Guest
plugged cat

i can assure you if you had experienced a plugged catalytic converter you would have noticed severe loss of power and hesitation long before it overheated!

Old 07-22-05, 06:09 AM
I agree that the overheating engine and plugged cat seem to be a coincidence, but I would definately let them replace the cat for free!!

I'm not sure but I think that "overheated engine protection operating mode" is when the engine computer intentional skips firing one or more cylinders to minimize heat damage and prolong emergency driving to allow owner to get to a safe place off the road.

I would keep a close eye on the temp gauge, you may yet discover that your thermostat was ruined during the overheating. If so, it will overheat again when you get the car running.

Old 07-26-05, 02:11 PM
rward1
Visiting Guest
Cool Dealer says !

The dealer says yup, the cat is plugged. He also told me that the intake manifold was warped and it most likley will need replacing to the tune of $800 fish. I wonder what came first the plugged cat or the warped (causing a lean) intake manifold ???????????