Engine Lockup on Grand Am

Old 07-18-05, 07:27 PM
Engine Lockup on Grand Am

I have a 1997 Pontiac Grand AM 3.1 liter that locked up will driving down the road. The car was being driven around 25 mph and all of a sudden it stalled and could not restart. The starter hums when in the crank position. When the car stalled, coolant leaked from the center of the engine. This happened Sunday morning and as of now the coolant is still dripping. I took 3 of the spark plugs out to try and turn the crank by hand but it wouldn't budge. It seemed as though the coolant began to leak even faster when I removed the plugs. I couldn't get to the other plugs easily. The coolant seems to be dripping down the center of the oil pan but I can't see where it is actually coming from. It's dripping slowly. The side of the engine is wet from coolant almost to the top so I was thinking it might have blown the head gasket. Does this sound right? Could the engine be hydrolocked and therefore not allow the starter to turn it? I disconnected the fan belt so there are no other loads on the engine but it still won't turn.

Don't know where to go from here. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 03:01 PM
Sounds bad. Remove all plugs and try to crank the engine.

When I hear these symptoms and the car is a Camero or Trans Am, I think to myself, someone ran the pi** out of it. Been there, done that

Old 07-20-05, 05:18 AM
Thanks Lugnut, I don't think it was abused because my 17 year old daughter was driving it at the time. She said that before it stalled she heard it tick 3 times and then she tried pushing on the accelerator and nothing happened so she pulled over. She then tried to start the engine again but the starter couldn't turn it. It just hummed. I looked again last night and the coolant is still dripping slowly. Could this be a sign of a cracked block? I checked the oil to make sure it wasn't low thinking this could be the cause but it was at a normal level. I haven't pulled the other 3 plugs yet but I plan to do that tonight. I tried turning the crank with a larger wrench but couldn't in one direction and loosened the bolt on the pulley when I turned it in the other direction. Any thoughts? I looked into buying a used engine to replace this one but I would like to make sure I can't repair this one before replacing it.

Old 07-21-05, 05:01 AM
Well, I found out last night that I was able to turn the flywheel by prying on the teeth with a crow bar and then I tried to crank it with the key and the engine turned however there was coolant coming out again. Once again I couldn't see where it was coming from since everything is so packed under the hood but it is running down the side of the block. I think the fact that it turned means no broken rods or anything but the leaking coolant means the head gasket is gone. Does this sound right or could there still be something broke inside that made the engine stall while it was running? How hard is it to change a head gasket and does anyone know where I could find a service manual with all the torque specs and timing requirements on line?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-21-05, 07:13 AM
could be intake

Your problem could be the intake manifold gasket the 3.1 series GM engines have had lots of problems with this gasket.You will have to remove the manafold anyway to get to the head and you might get lucky.However you need to get that coolant out of your cylinders pronto before they rust.
Drain your oil and see if it has coolant in it I venture to say yes.(dont forget to refill after the repair)