coil ?

Old 07-19-05, 11:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
coil ?

I have a 76 Ford F-100 with a 360 cid. At times it will not start because of lack of spark. The plug wires are new and I 've inspected most of the wiring, replacing 1 and taping up skint insulation on 2. Can the coil go out intermintently? Or just be weak? Can I test it? When it won't start from lack of spark at the coil it will push start. I hate to replace the coil just because I'm stumped, am I over looking something?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-05, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
Can the coil go out intermintently? Or just be weak? Can I test it?
Yes
Yes
I'm not sure what your specs are supposed to be, but you can test the primary and secondary systems in the coil if you have a volt/ohmeter

Old 07-19-05, 03:49 PM
Just curious here. What gear do you use to push start it? 3rd?

Old 07-20-05, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still stumped. Replaced the coil and it cranked right up 5 times, now it won't start - no apparent spark from coil wire. Double checked the wires and connectors. At a loss as to what to do next, maybe bypass the harness and wire direct? Honey do list is backing up and am being told I spend to much time on that old 4x4.

lugnut
I push start in 2nd or 3rd, sometimes reverse

Old 07-20-05, 12:37 PM
Is this points, or electronic ignition.
Change the pick up coil.
Did you change the distributor cap ?

Old 07-20-05, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is the older brearkerless electronic ignition. Wish it was points - they are easy on simple brains. Replaced cap and rotor button along with wires when tuned it up a couple of weeks ago. Guess the pick up coil is next. Any way to test it?

Old 07-22-05, 01:24 AM
You have an intermittent problem. testing may not find the part bad.
The pick up is my second choice the cap was the first.

You may try this, look at the spark, then heat the pick up with a hair dryer see if the spark changes.

Old 07-22-05, 01:26 AM
Eddiebx
Visiting Guest
i am not sure how your car is but on hondas, we have ignitors in the distributor that are used to fire the coils. and those go bad frequently which cause no spark conditions randomly. maybe if your car has that, you could check that out too.

Old 07-22-05, 07:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm still stumped. Replaced the pick up coil [old one did have a cracked plug] but now it won't even push start. I'm thinking it must be a bad wire or connector somewhere. Don't have time to work on it any more this week but will start again next week. Currently it is getting no spark at the coil. Can you hot wire elec ign like you could the old cars?

Old 07-22-05, 07:24 AM
Do you mean bypass the ignition switch?
You should be able to, I'm not sure of the procedure, but it should be do-able

Old 07-22-05, 07:28 AM
You can hot wire the coil, but only for testing. The coil output is regulated either by electronics or a resister wire in the ignition circuit. When you hot wire the coil directly, you are running the coil at max current (unregulated). If you were to drive it that way, it would burn up the coil, I'm guessing within a week.

Old 07-22-05, 09:30 PM
Have you replaced the ignition module?? It's a square shaped box usually mounted on the fender. Some parts stores like Advance and Autozone can test these too. If you have you should have battery voltage on the + side of the coil with the key on --- if not then check ignition switch.