replacing coils--'97 ford expedition

Old 07-20-05, 04:28 AM
replacing coils--'97 ford expedition

My daughters expedition has had two coils replaced in the last several months. Ford charges a lot to replace them. Is it a job any mechanically competent person can do, or does she go back to Ford.. It is a 4.6 engine.
Thanks, FLA Printer

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 03:25 PM
pangborn83
Visiting Guest
what cylinders did you have done (I assume 4 atleast once) I have a f 150 but as long as they are as assecible as on a f 150 or better it is a rather easy job, on my truck I have to remove the fuel rail for left side coil or plug changes but for right side it is possible to do it without removing all in all about a 1/2 hour job to do a single coil once you know what has to be done first time I did a complete set of plugs it was almost 3 hours now it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 on the excursion and super dutys it is real easy even for the left side

Old 07-20-05, 04:08 PM
I agree, it can be done fairly easy, especially if the engine is cool.. Personally I use 1/4 drive ratchet, a couple different length extentions, and a 7mm wobble socket.. (for removing the coils, other items such as engine cover require different size.. 10mm..) The thing to be careful of is not breaking the connector the plugs to the coil. Last time I had a DIY'er come in, he'd broken 1 of his, wouldn't stay pugged up, and only replacement part available around here (Arkansas) was an entire engine harness...
What was the cost of labor versus parts? Last I knew, those things ran about $110.00 a piece...

Old 07-21-05, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by FLA. Printer
My daughters expedition has had two coils replaced in the last several months. Ford charges a lot to replace them. Is it a job any mechanically competent person can do, or does she go back to Ford.. It is a 4.6 engine.
Thanks, FLA Printer
Do they also replace the boots? If the boots are not replaced when the COP (coil over plug) is replaced it can cause the new coil to fail. The rubber that these boots are made of are real cheap and can get very small, almost undetectable cracks and holes in them, especially in high humidity areas.

You can use the aftermarket coils that come with the boots - and they can be bought for anywhere from $48 to $60 dollars depending on which parts house you use.

BTW - it is not a good idea to wash these modular engines with high pressure sprayers. It is almost impossible to keep the moisture out of the plug cavity.

Search this Thread