Elec Windows on 93 Merc Marquis

Old 07-20-05, 09:29 AM
Elec Windows on 93 Merc Marquis

My son has a 93 Mercury Marquis with electric windows. 3 out of 4 electric windows do not work. (fortunately the A/C still does as we live in Florida :<) ). We had Ford Crn Vic that also had to have several windows repaired as well. Seems to be a common problem. Is this difficult to repair yourself?

We had the drivers side window repaired, but at around $300 per window, we chose to leave the other 2 alone for now. The electric switches seem OK as the motor does run and sounds like it is attempting to open/close with some grinding noise. I am guessing it is a broken cable or window support and the grinding noise is the cable being all messed up. I have not opened up the door to actually look. The windows will slide up an down if forced manually, if fact we have to occassionally lift the window back into closed position because it will open and inch or so from vibration.

Assuming this may be a common problem in Marquis and Crn Vics, I was hoping someone could speculate on what is wrong, and give hints on how to fix it myself (and appr at what cost, I still may choose to jsut get some silcone caulk around the windows to prevent them from slidng down.

ALSO, side question....does the forum have any search capabilty so that one can see if maybe their problem/question has already been answered?

Karl

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 10:01 AM
I'm guessing the grease may have dried out in the window regulator or the channel slides need new felt. Since you say it seems the motor works and the window moves when helped, a good DIYer may be able to fix the problem with labor only.

I recommend the following sites to research your problem further:

crownvic.net
crownvic.us

Old 07-20-05, 10:28 AM
Sorry that I was not clearer. The windows only move when manually forced (or natural vibration lowers them. I am fairly sure that the motor mechanism is not engaged with the window, so it is not like I am manually helping the motor/cable. In other words it feels and acts like the window is not responsive to the motor at all as if it is off the track. Would you still agree that it may be just a felt or grease problem?

Old 07-20-05, 12:46 PM
With your additional info it now sounds like the windows popped off the regulator tracks. The problem should be immediately apparent once the door panels are removed. Once fixed it should be checked for binding or excessive resistance, which may lead you back to regreasing the regulator channels or repairing the felt runners.

Old 07-21-05, 03:35 AM
it needs a new regulator assembly common problem on crown vics and grand marqi suggest you do not try to repair your regulator and just purchase a new regulator, as per as changing it is not that difficult you may have to drill out pop rivets to remove and while you do not necasarily have to use rivets when reinstalling if not using pop rivets use caution when using bolts with locking nuts at glass attachment as it takes very little pressure to cause glass breakage.
a couple of strips of duct tape over the door frame is usaully sufficient to hold the glass up and to keep it from falling when it is removed from regulator.