Car parked for 4 years

Old 07-20-05, 06:15 PM
KEWINA
Visiting Guest
Car parked for 4 years

My 1990 Nissan Sentra has been parked in my barn for 4 years. It ran when I parked it. My question is what do I need to do to it before I can drive it? I started it and ran it for about five minutes.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 07:25 PM
a little work

You will need to replace all fluids and run some fuel system cleaner thru the lines.Get rid of that gas it is no good.Replace fuel filter also.Install a fresh battery also.
What happend when it ran 5 min did it die on its own?

Old 07-20-05, 08:11 PM
KEWINA
Visiting Guest
As long as I kept my foot on the accelorator it would keep running. When I shifted it into first, it died. The exhaust comming from the car had a burnning smell, I don't know if that matters.

Can I get at some fuel system cleaner, and a fual filter at the local NAPA? If so, how do I take the gas out, run the system cleaner through, and replace the fual filter?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Old 07-21-05, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by KEWINA
As long as I kept my foot on the accelorator it would keep running. When I shifted it into first, it died. The exhaust comming from the car had a burnning smell, I don't know if that matters.
Well, depending on the smell it could be either mice or bees
But I think there's a strong possibilty you've got an exhaust blockage of some kind
Probably now a dead or seriously impaired some kind
Though it only ran 5 minutes, maybe it just has a headache

I don't know if it's worth dis-assembling the exhaust untill you can confirm that
If you run it again look for little puffs of nesting materials popping out the tip
...or dizzy bees
And the smell will def. NOT be a car-type smell (belt/brake/oil/gas-type smell)

Old 07-21-05, 05:44 AM
siphon

You are going to have to siphon out the old gas with a hose get as much as you can.Then I would put 10 gallons or maybe 5 gallons of fresh good gas with the fuel cleaner into tank.Turn on key after you do this but dont start this will get fuel thru the pump and into lines about 1 min should be good.Start car and run at high idle.
The smell should go away check the exaust pipe and make sure plenty of exaust gas is comming out.
I would talk to the parts guy at Nappa and see what fuel cleaner he has.
The best way would be to have it done were they shoot the stuff thru straight thru the lines and injectors.
But the fuel additive might be ok.

Old 07-21-05, 06:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All of the above advice is good. CHANGE YOUR OIL FIRST. The oil can have moisture [from condensation] in it and at any event has probably broken down and is not as effective as when new. Don't forget to check your tires for dry rot.

Old 07-21-05, 07:24 AM
KEWINA
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by michael van
The best way would be to have it done were they shoot the stuff thru straight thru the lines and injectors.
But the fuel additive might be ok.
Could I do that once I get it running enough to drive it down there?

Old 07-21-05, 07:43 AM
yes

I dont see why not as long as the shop is not to far that would be a good idea.
Have someone follow you just in case.
But change the oil before you drive it and dont forget the other fluids.

Old 07-21-05, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the brake fluid
A flush with new and a good bleed would be a good (safe) idea
Check the lines and cyl. for leaks and test the brakes well before going into traffic