Squeaky Noise

Old 07-21-05, 10:15 AM
omer
Visiting Guest
Squeaky Noise

Hi,

I just bought a 2003 Toyota Highlander with 16k miles on it. Beautiful car but I just started hearing these squeaky noises when I am driving. First I thought it was the suspension or the breaks but its not that. It only happens when I am driving above 30miles/hr and on certain bumps.

Its really strange cause the squeaky sound doesn't come on every bump or pot hole go over, only like if its a smooth road and has some little bumps that make both the front wheels go up and down together. I am not sure if this is clear or if anyone has had similar problems? I will try taking it to a workshop but if its something very simple I would like to do it myself.

Please let me know if anyone has any knowledge to share on this. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

omer

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-05, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by omer
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 Toyota Highlander with 16k miles on it. Beautiful car but I just started hearing these squeaky noises when I am driving. First I thought it was the suspension or the breaks but its not that. It only happens when I am driving above 30miles/hr and on certain bumps.

Its really strange cause the squeaky sound doesn't come on every bump or pot hole go over, only like if its a smooth road and has some little bumps that make both the front wheels go up and down together. I am not sure if this is clear or if anyone has had similar problems? I will try taking it to a workshop but if its something very simple I would like to do it myself.

Please let me know if anyone has any knowledge to share on this. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

omer
Hello, omer

Make sure your vehicle is in gear (or park if auto transmission) and engage the parking brake. Chock all tires so that the vehicle can't roll forward or backwards.
At the rear of the vehicle (after it has cooled down), take your foot and gently wiggle the tailpipe. If you can't hear anything give it another shake a little firmer this time.
If that's not it, get a firm grip on the vehicle and see if you can apply some pressure up and downward on the rear bumper to check the rear springs.
If that's not it, do the same thing to the front and listen to those spring hangers. Also listen to the shocks each time - or in the vicinity of the shocks.
No help yet - climb under the vehicle and (remember it must be cooled down) give the exhaust pipe a shake, starting off gently then more aggresive.

Can you determine about where the sound is coming from while driving?

Old 07-21-05, 01:20 PM
omer
Visiting Guest
Hi Big Orn,

Thanks for your reply. I will try doing these things after work today. I could not really tell where the noise was coming from, my wife thought it was the radio antenna that was making the sound but it wasn't. Its a strange squeak but hopefully the steps you have described will help me determine it otherwise I have made an appointment with toyota this saturday. Since its only been a week since I bought it from them, I am hoping they will be helpful.

Thanks again and if you can think of anything else, feel free to let me know.

Take care.

Omer