Changing O2 sensor

Old 07-21-05, 03:04 PM
Changing O2 sensor

My 1986 F150 needs to have its o2 sensor changed. I located it in the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. I cannot really get a wrench into the space. The new one has a 7/8's nut. I am guessing that the old one does as well.

One person recomended a deep well socket and just trim the wire off before removing the sensor. Does any body know if this is a good idea? Also I need to know what to expect, is there a chance the old one may break? If so how do I get it out.

Does any body have any helpful hints?

Thanks in Advance,
Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-05, 03:12 PM
I rented the O2 sensor tool at Auto Zone for a couple bucks. You need to have the wire on the new one so use the right tool. Good luck.

Old 07-21-05, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by power453
One person recomended a deep well socket and just trim the wire off before removing the sensor. Does any body know if this is a good idea?
That's not a good idea
If an open ended or boxed wrench won't work, try the O2 sensor socket with the slot for the wires
I think that's what majakdragon rented from A/Z

Old 07-21-05, 07:06 PM
not the wire

Dont cut the wire it has a built in resistance.They have a tool for that Snap-On has something that looks like a crows foot but is more round kind of like a flare nut wrench.

Old 07-22-05, 03:28 AM
well obviously you would not want to cut the wires on the new sensor, but you can cut the wires on the old one and use a deep socket if you wish sometimes if the sensor is really stuck in there you just about have no other option as the sockets designed for o2 sensors will often slip rounding off the nut part of the o2 sensor but they usually will come out without breaking off.

Old 07-22-05, 04:40 AM
One of the reasons I think it's a good idea for a DIYer not to cut the wire is in case it's rusted in or rounded off so bad it needs to be taken somewhere to have it done, or needs time to aquire the proper tool
At least it's still driveable and they'll have some time to get it to a shop/store

Old 07-22-05, 11:52 AM
Success

I did the job this morning. I got the tool from autozone. The old one came right out. The new one slipped right back in. The main problem was the wire the truck had was only just too short. So it took me ten minutes to change it out and another 1.5 hours to get the wires connected.

The good news is that the truck is running better than ever. I actually had to back my foot off the accelerator a little bit more coming to work. I would imagine that my mpg should increase as well.

P.S. I ended up soldering the wires together. Not easy underneath the truck. However, Success should never be that easy.