Grand am/high idle and increase fuel consumption

Old 07-22-05, 12:22 PM
mhall70
Visiting Guest
Grand am/high idle and increase fuel consumption

2002 Grand Am Gt 3.4L, auto transmission,48K. I have replaced the intake manifold casket, fuel filter, spark plugs,oil change, engine cooling fan motor, and tires rotated. All this was done by local repair shop over a 3 day period. I was getting approx.340-360 miles per tank of gas before things were replaced. I filled tank right before the fuel filter was changed.I only got 220 miles out of that tank. Car also seems to idle high( even when warmed up ) and the exhaust smells stronger. Smells like it normally did, just stronger.( if that makes sense) Any ideas what is wrong? Anything that shop could have done wrong? I did have to take car back because of some cables and a wiring harness not secured back.( could not tell you what wires or cables, a friend noticed them) Car was scanned, no codes. I know nothing about fixing auto's, so I have to depend on outside resources. Some one Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-05, 01:21 PM
Have you noticed if the coolant fans ever turn on without the A/C being turned on? It sounds like it might be a problem related to the coolant sensor circuit sending the computer info that the engine is always cold making it idle high and run rich all the time. Or the thermostat is stuck open. Whats the outside temperature like where you are? Why was the gasket and fan motor replaced?
Make sure the coolant level is full.

Old 07-22-05, 02:19 PM
mhall70
Visiting Guest
Outside temp here is about 98F. Routine maintenance at repair shop revealed that the intake manifold gasket had busted and was leaking coolant. The cooling fan would only click on if the A/C was running. After cooling fan motor replacement, it will click on ( with A/C off ) lowest speed when engine temperature reaches 223-225 degrees. Major drop in mpg. and I will use premium gas every 3-4 fill ups. The engine surges at times when I have let off the accelerator. All I know is the car idled fine and I got alot better mpg. before I had this work done. I did have it scanned yesterday and no codes. Coolant level is normal and I do not see any leaks. Thank you very much for taking a swing at this.

Could it be the catalytic converter? That would be good news, because that is still under warranty.

Old 07-22-05, 02:44 PM
Check for a loose or disconnected vacuum hose. It could be a vacuum leak at the new gasket. Check back for other ideas from other people here.

Search this Thread