Car won't start after sitting for 10 years.

Old 07-24-05, 11:40 AM
N388S
Visiting Guest
Car won't start after sitting for 10 years.

I have a 1979 Datsun 280zx that has been sitting in a garage for about 10 years. I have decided to get it running again so i bought a new battery, spark plugs, and spark plug wires for it and installed them. I have also poured 5 gallons of gas into the tank with a couple gallons of old gasoline. When you try to start the car it will turn over about every 4 seconds but not enough to keep it going. Would the old gasoline be the cause of this problem or is it something else? Also, what else should I do before driving this car other than what i have listed below? Thank you in advance for the help.

Tyler

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-05, 12:17 PM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
If you have spark, look to fuel problems. On that car there is a rubber hose going to the fuel filter,take it off and using a hose splice add a few feet of hose to the line so as to get it out of the engine compartment and put the end into a container. Crank the engine and see if you get fuel coming out at a good rate. If not the fuel pump is probally bad. If you have a seady stream of fuel then the injectors are probally varnished beyond cleaning and need replaced.

Old 07-24-05, 05:37 PM
Good car

You should have drained old gas before putting in fresh.10 years that old stuff has turned to varnish.You will have to clean the entire fuel system.Also replace ALL fluids,Check all rubber tires,Fuel lines brake lines vaccum hoses etc for rot.10 years like I said fuel is varnish I am sure you can smell the stuff.
You might have to replace injectors or have them proffesionaly cleaned.
Hope you get it going The Datsun Z cars are a gas and fun to drive.