'93 Jeep Intake Manifold Gasket

Old 07-24-05, 08:35 PM
'93 Jeep Intake Manifold Gasket

I have a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 L and about 134,000 miles. The car recently starting overheating, running very rough and I found water in the oil, so after asking a few people, I was told the gasket on the intake manifold was most likely shot. After spending hours getting this huge piece off, is there a good way to verify if the manifold may be bad? Anything else I should check or change as long as I am this far into the car? Once I am ready to replace the manifold gasket, any suggestions on the best way to do it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-05, 05:06 AM
Group Moderator
Call me crazy, but at 134,000 miles I would have gone ahead and pulled the heads and replaced head gaskets and had heads inspected, assuming you're planning on keeping the vehicle for a while. It IS quite a jump from intake manifold only to doing both heads, but you are halfway (or so) there and there is just a chance that your problem is a head gasket and not the manifold. Bad time to find out would be AFTER you reinstall the intake manifold and fire it up and since you didn't do any in-depth troubleshooting to narrow it down to the manifold, you're throwing the dice.

Old 07-25-05, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will go forward with this and pull the heads. You mentioned having the heads inspected - what would this involve and would this normally be done by a machine shop? Anything else, for a few dollars more, that I should ask a shop to do while they are checking the heads?

Old 07-25-05, 06:51 PM
I agree with Tow Guy.. Sounds more like a head gasket problem..
A decent head shop should check for cracks, warpage, burnt/damaged valves..And the shop we use will replace the valve guide seals for us...
Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-01-05, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the advice, but bad news. The shop I went to did something called a Magnaflux test and said both heads were cracked and could not be repaired. I called to 6 junk yards to find a cheap replacement and all said they did not have any.

Is this a common problem with cast heads from Jeep when the car over heats? Any advice at this point? If I do replace the heads, could there be other problems I should now also look for?

Old 08-01-05, 07:38 PM
You may want to check around a couple more head shops.. Some places will not even attempt a cracked head, reguardless of where the crack is, other's have the proper equipment, and have no problems "welding" an aluminum head. I'm not bad-mouthing your shop at all..Just have run across that most will not attempt it. We do happen to use a shop that can, and will "weld" (mig, tig, heliarc what ever.. LOL) unless the crack runs through an oil or water passage..a crack between valves, no problem...

Old 08-01-05, 07:47 PM
That's the best news I have had all day. Does it make a difference if the cylinder head is cast? As for the shop, they had the biggest advertisement in the Yellow Pages and sounded on the phone like they knew what they what they were doing.
Is there something in particuliar I should ask before taking a cracked head in?

Old 08-01-05, 08:11 PM
I mis-read your message.. You clearly said cast.. I assumed (for some reason??) aluminum.. The only thing I can think of, is find out from the current shop, where the crack(s) are and when calling, make sure they know where they are ( that that it is a cast head Duh, on me!!!)

Old 08-05-05, 02:17 PM
Once again, thanks for the ongoing help.

The cylinder heads are cracked around some of the valve seats and talking to a few other machine shops, this is common with 318 and 360 engines and cannot be repaired. I am now looking into buying a reconditioned head, removing the valves and springs from the bad head and reinstalling on the new one. Having never done this before, any tricks or items I should definitely change out?

Old 08-06-05, 09:18 AM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
Look up Clearwater cylinder head in Clearwater Florida. I get reman heads from them all the time, they come complete,ready to bolt on and are very resonablly priced.And yes, they ship UPS.

Old 08-08-05, 02:37 PM
Great suggestion - I contacted Clearwater as well as a few others and they are all very reasonable and easy to work with as far as sending back cores. I know you wrote you have used them before, but I am just concerned about getting a remanufactured head over the internet. Should I be concerned?

Old 08-08-05, 04:02 PM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
I have probally bought close to a hundred haeds from them and never had a problem yet. Call them on the phone and order with a CC if you worry about internet problems.