HELP! Water in gas tank....

Old 07-25-05, 10:31 AM
blahblahshutup
Visiting Guest
Exclamation HELP! Water in gas tank....

I need some serious advice! I put about a gallon of water into my '93 toyota corolla gas tank not knowing the gas tank marked "gas" actually had water. Without emptying the tank, my step dad put about three gallons of premium in the tank and two bottles of STP then removed the spark plugs and pumped the mixture through until he smelled gas. He then put new spark plugs in, used quick start and tried to fire it up. Surprise surprise, it won't start. Is there anything I can do to fix my baby? Please help!

Last edited by blahblahshutup; 07-25-05 at 10:39 AM. Reason: not enough info
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-05, 11:26 AM
gearshift101
Visiting Guest
water in tank

sounds like you need to drop the tank or siphon out the waterlogged gas. fill with new gas and put some dry gas in it. and you may want to replace the fuel filter.

Just my 2 cents. good luck

Old 07-25-05, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by gearshift101
sounds like you need to drop the tank or siphon out the waterlogged gas. fill with new gas and put some dry gas in it. and you may want to replace the fuel filter.

Just my 2 cents. good luck
Yup me too...what he said

Old 07-25-05, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Multiple bottles of dry gas can work wonders but a whole gallon of water NO WAY!!! Like they said remove the gas and replace with good along with a bottle [or2] of dry gas.

Old 07-25-05, 11:21 PM
blahblahshutup
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice! I have a few more questions....Since my step dad ran the water through do you think it will still start up after I drain it and replace it with gas with a new fuel filter? Also...where do I get dry gas? And one last question....will there be any lines that will have to be cleared of water and how would I do that? Sorry....18 year old girl with NO experience in auto! lol.

Old 07-26-05, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by blahblahshutup
Since my step dad ran the water through do you think it will still start up after I drain it and replace it with gas with a new fuel filter?
Hopefully
...where do I get dry gas?
Anywhere, Wal*Mart, AutoZone, NAPA,Pep Boys,CVS Pharmacy...
....will there be any lines that will have to be cleared of water and how would I do that?
Thats what we're hoping
Draining the tank the lines will drain back and the drygas will evap the rest and it'll start up (your first question)

Old 07-26-05, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do not mean to sound like a samrt aleck, but that is one reason why I aways smell the interior of the gas can because you never know what may be in it. You can also find dry gas at most gas stations, but you will probably pay more for it there than from an auto parts store.

Old 07-26-05, 04:29 PM
I've had a number of experiences with water in the tank. Dry gas never helped. Nothing short of removing the tank, draining and drying the tank, blowing the lines, and emptying the (back then) carburator, would get the car back to original condition.

It's a shame that you tried starting the car, otherwise the water would have been confined to the tank and it's the only thing that would've needed to be serviced.

Old 07-26-05, 05:55 PM
blahblahshutup
Visiting Guest
What is it going to take for me to blow the lines and empty the carburator? Sorry for all the questions....I'm just so lost in this area. And again....I really appreciate the advice!

Old 07-27-05, 06:50 AM
For starters, your car doesn't have a carburator, it uses fuel injection. This makes blowing out the lines more difficult.

Purging water from the fuel in your would involve dropping the tank, emptying and drying it, removing the fuel filter, undoing all fuel line connections and blowing air through all of them. After that, all that needs to be dealt with is the fuel line plumbing underhood. This'll cost at a shop, it's very labor intensive.