'89 F-150 intermitten problem

Old 07-25-05, 02:28 PM
'89 F-150 intermitten problem

I have an '89 F-150 5.0L with 62K miles. Started having an intermitten problem while driving. Sometimes the truck will just cut out and i can get it started again, only for the problem to happen 15 minutes later or so.
Hooked up a fuel gauge and spark plug tester at #1 cylinder and ran it in my driveway until it cut out. Never lost fuel pressure so that rules out the fuel system.

Replaced the original TFI module and swapped a coil only to have the same problem. I'm thinking it's an electrical problem so i "wiggle" tested the wires going to the coil, EEC relay, EEC processor, TFI module, and other connectors while truck was running. Unable to find a fault at this time.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-05, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have a 80 GMC work van that acted similiar. It would cut out and usually restart and go days be for doing it again. It gradually got worse and I decided to take it to a shop and let them figure it out. It quit on the way and I wound up having it towed in. It started right up at the shop and they could find nothing wrong. Because I insisted something was wrong they replaced [on a hunch] the pick up coil and the module. Problem solved. Don't know that will fix yours but it might be worth a try.

Old 07-28-05, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
I have a 80 GMC work van that acted similiar. It would cut out and usually restart and go days be for doing it again. It gradually got worse and I decided to take it to a shop and let them figure it out. It quit on the way and I wound up having it towed in. It started right up at the shop and they could find nothing wrong. Because I insisted something was wrong they replaced [on a hunch] the pick up coil and the module. Problem solved. Don't know that will fix yours but it might be worth a try.
I already swapped in a new module and coil (I keep known good spare parts arond just for this purpose) and still had the problem. Had the truck out all day yesterday with no problems which leads me to believe this may be a "wire" or "connection" problem somewhere. While checking truck, i was checking all the electrical connections so perhaps i moved something and now it's not happening. Thats the problem with an intermitten problem....can't do anything until the problem happens.

Old 07-28-05, 07:39 PM
Comptech
Visiting Guest
It is the pickup coil in the distributor, the insulation has deteriorated off the windings and when it gets hot it shorts out.

Old 08-03-05, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Comptech
It is the pickup coil in the distributor, the insulation has deteriorated off the windings and when it gets hot it shorts out.
Thnx, i'll yank the distributor and have a lookse.