air conditioning

Old 07-26-05, 11:17 AM
air conditioning

How hard is it to recharge your airconditioning unit? I have a 99 dodge grand caravan 3.3 ltr and the air isn't as cold as i think it should be...Also a service engine soon light came on at about 69000 miles. Do i need to take it to the dealer or is there someway for me to check it out myself? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-05, 11:27 AM
Often you can bring you vehicle to a DIY auto parts place (like AutoZone) and they can "read" your codes for you
Often for free
If not perhaps a local place may do it for a small fee, less than the dealer anyways
It's just if you do go to AutoZone just don't buy anything until you post the code(s) here for interpretation
They are famous for reading a "o2 sensor indicates lean" code to mean you need a new o2 sensor
The guys here can help you decifer what the code(s) really mean

As for your A/C I personally let a A/C pro take care of that stuff
But maybe someone more familier with the A/C for your vehicle will chime in

Old 07-26-05, 11:53 AM
If your a/c is cold, but not as cold as it used to be, you may get by with just adding more refrigerant with the kits commonly sold, though the purist in me says you should have the right tools (a/c manifold gauge, thermometer).

Just make sure you hook it up to the low side port. If you try charging through the high side port you can seriously maim yourself.

Old 07-26-05, 12:43 PM
ac outlet air temp...

...is relative to ambient air temp and humidity. most manufacturer's offer (in the appropriate service manual) a performance chart that gives you an acceptable range for a given operating condition. keep also in mind that in really hot weather, it will take longer to "feel" the effects and get the cabin comfortable, as the inside of the vehicle will "store" alot of latent heat. that also has to be removed.

one other often overlooked thing is cabin air filters...check your owners manual...many are easy to replace.

as for DIY AC work...unless you have a very good understanding of refrigeration, it may be wise to have it performance tested by a pro.

Old 07-29-05, 08:26 PM
my check engine light went off before i had a chance to get it looked at...would the code still be in the computer or should i just forget it ever showed up.... Thanks

Old 07-30-05, 05:17 PM
Yes, the code will be stored for quite a while.... I think it's for something like 50-100 key on/off cycles.