Hood not latching

Old 07-27-05, 08:52 AM
Hood not latching

I've got a '93 Subaru Legacy Wagon. The hood doesn't like to stay latches on hot/humid days. I can get it to stay latched for a while when it's colder, but when it's warm out I can't even make it latch initially. Most of the time I drive with the safety latch as the only way of keeping it from flying open. Any suggestions on what to do? I've tried cleaning the mechanism with WD-40 but that didn't seem to help any. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 10:28 AM
repbuddy
Visiting Guest
try hood adjustment

It's possible that you just have a bad latch but I would try lowering the hood bumpers. They are located around the front of the car on boths sides near the fender. They'll look like little rubber pieces on top of a spring. If you turn them to the right it lowers the hood and allows it to go deeper into the latch, if this doesn't work try the opposite. It's worth a try. Another idea would be that your hood release cable is stuck in the open posistion. Find where the cable runs into the hood latch and push it away from the latch.

Old 07-27-05, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by repbuddy
It's possible that you just have a bad latch but I would try lowering the hood bumpers. They are located around the front of the car on boths sides near the fender. They'll look like little rubber pieces on top of a spring. If you turn them to the right it lowers the hood and allows it to go deeper into the latch, if this doesn't work try the opposite. It's worth a try. Another idea would be that your hood release cable is stuck in the open posistion. Find where the cable runs into the hood latch and push it away from the latch.
I'll give it a shot and report back. If it's the cable that is sticking, how do I go about fixing it? Thanks

Old 07-28-05, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if it is possible, but you may be able to disconnect the cable from under the hood and shoot graphite powder down it. I am not sure if that is possible, but it is just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!