87 Nissan Sentra

Old 07-28-05, 07:36 AM
duce110
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 87 Nissan Sentra

I have a 87 Nissan Sentra (2 door) with about 80,000 miles on it. I had the car parked for over four years. I had just fixed a couple of things and got it ready for my son that just started college. My question is about the air conditioner. I went to Strauss Auto store and they told me that I had to convert it from R12 to a R134a. So I went ahead and bought the kit. I converted the Low Pressure System like it said. Added the cans like it stated while having the car on with the air conditioner on high. Filled it up but still hot air blew out. Left the car running with the AC for about 30mins and still hot air. Did I do something wrong, or is there something else I got to do? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 07-28-05, 04:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have done the same a couple months ago and had the same symptom like yours. However, it starts blowing cool air next day. Try the same for the next couple days and you may get cold air. Good Luck!

Old 07-28-05, 04:51 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A "proper" retrofit will invlove a bare minimum of the following steps:

1. Evacuate any remaining R12, according to EPA regs (which means DO NOT vent it to the atmosphere).
2. Replace exp. valve, drier, and all seals in the system.
3. Completely flush system to remove any remnants of R12 oil.
4. Add R134 compatible oil (ester) to specs.
5. Apply vacuum to system (27-30in.) for a minimum of 20-30 min.
6. If vacuum holds for an additional 20 min. after vacuum pump is turned off, add R134 to 80% of R12 specs and hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: