Emissions problem diagnosis - Ford EEC-IV

Old 07-29-05, 04:38 AM
Maknessa
Visiting Guest
Question Emissions problem diagnosis - Ford EEC-IV

1994 Lincoln TC. Check engine light (CEL)
Code 332 comes on after many miles. Occasionally flicklers off then on. No apparent running problems and mileage normal. Replaced so far: EGR valve, pressure differential feedback sensor, EGR vacuum regulator (was out of resistance range). No change in CEL. All associated vacuum hoses and tubes appear OK and show no signs of deterioration; no leaks when removed and tested with vacuum pump. What do I do next to determinme cause of problem? CEL is annoying.

Connected to the EGR vacuum regulator are two vacuum hoses: one to EGR valve and the other to some sort of vacuum-acitvated sensor on left side fuel rail. What is that?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-05, 04:37 PM
I'm sitting at home with no info available to me.. I'm not real familiar with Ford's 3 digit codes anyways.. 2 or 4 digits... If the code is insufficient EGR flow detected, 2 things come to mind.. In the EGR pipe, where the 2 little rubber hoses for the DPFE sensor plug up, is a little orifice. These are know to stop up over the years..You may get lucky and be able to clear it out, but last 4-5 I've had, it was replace the pipe assembly.. The other thing that comes to mind, is the passages where the EGR valve bolts up are stopped up..If memory serves correct, your car has the throttle body mount to an "air horn" (aluminum) approximately 3 inches in diameter, with a 90 degree bend. There are 4 8mm bolts that hold this "air horn" to the intake manifold. Under this "air horn" is a channel for the gases to flow through when the EGR valve opens..This passage is famous for getting carboned up..

Hope I'm heading you in the correct direction, and not wasting your time...

Old 07-30-05, 04:51 AM
If you have a 4.6L engine then Msargent hit the nail on the head with the blocked EGR valve passages under the throttle body. A quick check to see if this is the case, is to use a hand vacuum pump ( If you dont have one try one of those cheap coolant testers) and apply vacuum to the egr port while the engine is running. If there is no change in idle with vacuum applied then the ports are blocked causing insufficient flow.
If this is the case remove the throttle body as suggested and then there is a gasket under it that looks like it's made of foil and remove it and you'll see the carbon build up underneath. I usually just plug the intake with a rag and use carburator spray and a small screwdriver to clean out the ports. I would suggest getting a new throttle body to intake gasket too.

Search this Thread