04 Intrepid Brakes

Old 07-29-05, 06:38 PM
04 Intrepid Brakes

Tell me if my thinking is correct or not. I Just did the brakes for the wife and now the outer pad on the left front disc is worn to almost nothing. If the outer pad wears first it's the hardware that is hanging up not the caliper piston....right? If the piston were hung up the inner pad would have worn first......right?
Or should I just stick to electricity

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-05, 07:11 PM
usually uneven wear is caused by the caliper not being able to float usually do to guide pins frozen but could be other things just need to find out whats keeping the caliper from sliding freely.

Old 07-30-05, 07:31 AM
bejay,

That's what I thought Just wanted to some confirmation. Thx for the info, I'll look at it again tomorrow when we get home.

Old 07-30-05, 09:06 AM
Something to look for when you go to check the brakes..I've seen on MANY chysler products lately, the part of the spindle assembly the the upper and lower ends of the pads rest/ride on, will develope a "groove" that will hold the pad in pretty much 1 spot..It'll cause it to hang and prematurely wear the pad(s). If you catch it soon enough, emry cloth and then lubrication can help..But if it's deep enough, replacing the spindle is the only repair I'm aware of...Seen this on Dakota's and Durangos more than on the cars, but it's something I look for on all chysler products now..

Old 07-31-05, 02:49 PM
Msargent. Thx I will pay close attention to the spindle assembly.

Old 07-31-05, 07:52 PM
hard to believe

I find it hard to believe that a brand new car is having problems already.Can this be a warranty issue?

Old 08-01-05, 02:16 PM
Nope, warranty is up about 10,000 miles ago. The brakes looked good when I replaced them, But I had a hard time getting them back together the first time. When the wife said they were making noise I was shocked and pulled the wheels off the front. Right side looks great The left side though only has about 5/16's left on the outter pad inner pad looks good too. Thats why I figured it must be a hardware prob. sliders etc... so I'll change the pads again and make sure I pay special attention during assembly.