Car Overheats

Old 07-29-05, 08:15 PM
N388S
Visiting Guest
Car Overheats

I have a 1979 Datsun 280zx that had been sitting for about 10 years. I got it started today and i was driving it around slowly and the engine keeps overheating after it runs for a while. antifreeze and smoke come out right where the radiator hose goes into the block. What would be causing it to overheat? A friend's father mentioned a stuck temperature sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-05, 05:26 PM
What is unusual about antifreeze and steam coming out of the radiator hose/block junction? Don't all cars do that? Do you have a leak?

Overheating could be any number of things... The engine could be running okay, but the temp sensor is wrong. Or the thermostat may be stuck. Or there could be a leak in the head gasket. Start by putting in a new thermostat and take it from there.

Old 07-30-05, 05:42 PM
datsun

Is this the same Datsun you wrote about a few days ago?Been sitting for ten years.
What did you do so far to get it to drive?

Old 07-30-05, 06:53 PM
N388S
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is the same car that had been sitting for 10 years. I got it to start by spraying carb and choke cleaner directly into the carb while trying to start the engine......worked like a charm. The engine runs great. I replaced the thermostat today and noticed that the metal cap that goes over the thermostat (don't know what it's called) had a hole in it. I couldn't find one at any local auto parts store so i just melted the hole together with a torch. It runs cooler now but it still runs on the hot side, but I only had water in the radiator and no antifreeze......would that be why it is still running hot? Thanks alot for the help!

Old 07-30-05, 07:06 PM
Though not advised to run with plain water, I'm not so sure plain water would cause it to overheat. There's something else going on. Do you get bubbles in the cooling system? The way to check would be to run the car without the radiator cap.

There's only a few ways I can think of that would cause a car to overheat... either a stuck thermostat, low fluid, blown head gasket, blockage, or the cooling fans don't work.... and in rare cases where the ignition timing is way off.

Old 07-30-05, 07:19 PM
flush the sysrem

flush the system with water and dont forget to have the heater on.You might want to use some cooling system cleaner also.

Old 07-31-05, 06:01 PM
because the boiling temp of water is 212 degrees, water will not get any hotter (turns to steam). If your engine gets to 213 degrees, there is no cooling.

Old 07-31-05, 07:27 PM
Boiling point

This car has been sitting for 10 years and poster wanted to know how to get it running.Was told to flush radiatior and replace hold hoses.
In no way was he supposed to make a road trip with just water.Since the car is a old 79 datsun that more then lickley runs a 160 thermostat if no problems such as plugged radiatior or bad radiatior cap it should not boil over for testing only.Water under pressure bils a little higher.
I would suspect cap next 10 years sitting things get kinda gummed up and corroded.

Old 08-01-05, 05:27 AM
I too get the impression that Tyler is simply trying to resurrect a vehicle that's been sitting for 10 years, and that he wants to assess what problems he has and how much trouble it'll be to fix some of the serious problems before he starts primping it.

Thankfully, he has it running, but it's running hot. I don't think running water in the cooling system for diagnostic purposes is the cause for his overheating. We'll have to wait until he reports back to see what the problem is.

I'm curious why the car was retired for so long. Was it a cooling problem that retired the car?.... blown head gasket? If not, then I suspect a bad thermostat or some kind of blockage in the system.

Old 08-01-05, 05:54 AM
Thats correct

I suspect that car sitting for 10 years has caused quite a bit of corrosion The metal cap he refers to (goose neck) had a hole in it that he melted shut was probbably corrosion.This car has lots of aluminium Heads etc.